ash shaft grains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ash shaft grains

i just wanted to ask as i must of been very lucky in the past as all my cues ive owned in ash have had 4~7 arrows on the front and 1 or 1 and a boat forward facing one the back and i love this grain type but im not seeing all that many on here like that are that not very common??

Originally Posted by jay_j View Post
    i just wanted to ask as i must of been very lucky in the past as all my cues ive owned in ash have had 4~7 arrows on the front and 1 or 1 and a boat forward facing one the back and i love this grain type but im not seeing all that many on here like that are that not very common??
    I think it depends on where you got the cue from (who manufactured it). Mass produced cues like BCE etc don't tend to have "higher end" cues, so I think they just get the ash, shove it in a machine to splice it, then lathe it round/tapered, fill then varnish it, and out it goes. I don't think the grain patterns/chevrons/boats etc get looked into or acknowledged.
    So, in answer to your question, yes, you probably just have been lucky so far..
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Id like to get in on this forum as Ash grains etc are of a big interest to me.

Its very hard to judge what a grain will look like from a plank of ash. Then it doesnt get easier once its cut into 1.5 inch square lengths. Being a little inexperienced, at this stage I tend to go for the straightest grain and try and gauge it by how much the shaft weighs as to how it will feel, how dead or whippy it will be.

Once its cut to a taper then i can get a better feel for what the end shaft will look like and obviously then while planing it round you know what your gonna get.
      One thing to appreciate is, it is a lot of work to get a shaft to a stage that you know it will make not only a good playing cue but also a nice looking shaft.

Ive had a few playing cues from the likes of Glover, Mike Wooldridge and Parris. At the time I loved each cue for how it played. It was only recently when I started making cues that Ive gone back and looked at pics Ive had of my previous playing cues and seen what the shaft grains looked like. Didnt even occur to me at the time.
      http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

i want a shaft with fair amount of "chevrons" as i call them, and if you check the shaft pic on my thread "my new trevor white cue" i got exactly what i wanted and it looks brill when your down on your shot

Comment

Working...
        X