Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibrating cue

Need some help from a cue maker/fixer.

I have recently noticed a funny sound on some shots, almost like my cue is undone. I have ensured that it isn't but the sound occasionally rears its ugly head. I hold the cue exactly the same for every shot (hand on the table) so there is no variation in that. I am wondering if the ferrule is coming loose, or worse still, it I have managed to split the shaft somehow. The cue doesn't do it for every shot, and it is not limited to a certain type of shot either, such as screw or top. It doesn't matter what the shot it.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be, and how to fix it?

Thanks.
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

If its the ferrule it will sound right through the cue and sounds like a loose joint or weight .

Comment

sounds like a loose ferrule

Comment

I have been thinking it is that, and could do with getting the ferrule changed as it is less than 10mm long!

Will have to have a look into getting this changed, and see if that solves the problem.

The real bugger is I was up near Leeds a couple of weeks ago, so could have dropped into Craftsman to get it done if I thought about it then!
        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

the other thing it could be, and i would double check.....

you didnt pick the missuses 6 inch "mini butt" up did you?

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
            the other thing it could be, and i would double check.....

you didnt pick the missuses 6 inch "mini butt" up did you?
            Haha. No, I most certainly didn't. She doesn't need one of those, she's got....... Ah who cares what she's got. If she has been wasting good money on them that could be going towards a new (or old) cue for me I won't be happy. She wants other "entertainment" I can't provide, we'll pick someone up to join in. Certainly not spend money that could go towards a new cue for me... lol

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
              Haha. No, I most certainly didn't. She doesn't need one of those, she's got....... Ah who cares what she's got. If she has been wasting good money on them that could be going towards a new (or old) cue for me I won't be happy. She wants other "entertainment" I can't provide, we'll pick someone up to join in. Certainly not spend money that could go towards a new cue for me... lol
              hahaha.............hilarious!

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
                ..... and could do with getting the ferrule changed as it is less than 10mm long!......
                This seems quite a strange thing to say !
                Most ferrules are around 7mm long, see pic of a few of mine, the shorter cue has a ferrule of 9.5mm long and as you can see is massive compared to the others

Comment

I feel that the liklehood is that this is the ferrule which may need tightening up when you next decide to retip. It could just be that the tip has loosened in the middle which depending on power will often cause variable noise. If it is a cheap joint it could be that the pin has come away from the washer plattern. Often finding these noise sources is a nightmare similar to a rattle in your car. A few more possibilities. if the cue has a disc or butt plate you may find a screw has loosened in the plate or the disc is loose.very often a glue void is designed into the cue to allow for expansion or pressure during construction, as the glue dries out and contracts tiny pieces sometimes crack off and from time to time can be heard when the cue is tapped up and down its length. In really (hopefully)cheap cues a bit of reinforcing rod is stuffed in an oversize hole and comes loose easily. Bet you thought there was a simple answer!!!!.
                  In acknowledgement of less definative answers - you could try taking the battery out.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                    I feel that the liklehood is that this is the ferrule which may need tightening up when you next decide to retip. It could just be that the tip has loosened in the middle which depending on power will often cause variable noise. If it is a cheap joint it could be that the pin has come away from the washer plattern. Often finding these noise sources is a nightmare similar to a rattle in your car. A few more possibilities. if the cue has a disc or butt plate you may find a screw has loosened in the plate or the disc is loose.very often a glue void is designed into the cue to allow for expansion or pressure during construction, as the glue dries out and contracts tiny pieces sometimes crack off and from time to time can be heard when the cue is tapped up and down its length. In really (hopefully)cheap cues a bit of reinforcing rod is stuffed in an oversize hole and comes loose easily. Bet you thought there was a simple answer!!!!.
                    In acknowledgement of less definative answers - you could try taking the battery out.
                    Thanks for this. I know it isn't the tip (been re-tipped multiple times since first noticed) and still it continues...

Not a cheap joint. The guy that designed them was an engineer by trade, and still runs one (I've heard), not only that, there is no movement what-so-ever when tightening the cue up or unscrewing it...

The badge is also in tip-top nick (apart from being a bit dirty), plus it is drilled and glued in, not screwed, so that rules that one out...

It wasn't a cheap cue when new 20 years ago, and still isn't. It is a really well made cue from a well known local cue maker (Aeon) who also used to produce cues for Hunt & O'Bryne (I have heard)....

The noise is especially noticable if I twist the top to chalk the tip and the cue is on the floor. It obviously causes a vibration as movement against wood will, but it makes the sound noticable, and it is like nails on a blackboard...

Based on other research, it sounds like the ferrule is slightly loose, but wanted to double check with some of the knowledgable folk on here that I hadn't really buggered it and split the shaft without realising it....

I have spoken to Tony Glover, and as he is 30 miles away approx I'll nip it up to him to get it fixed.

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                    you could try taking the battery out.
                    Judging by the way I play the game, it doesn't take batteries. I think it is solar powered, and it's only ever out of the case at night.......

Comment

Quick update, the joint was very slightly loose.

I took it to Tony Glover, who checked the ferrule (not that), checked the weights (none in the cue), so concluded it was the joint. He took the joint out and re-installed in (aligned differently unfortunately, so cue will be going back to be re-joint-aligned again)
                      On a bright note, the noise has disappeared altogether, so this must have been the cause.

Tony is a top guy, and the mis-alignment wasn't his fault. The 4 butt splices were not lined up with the ebony splices on the shaft, so he re-aligned them when he did the repair. Now, I'm looking at a completely different cue when I'm down, and following the arrows on the shaft, or twisting my cueing hand under to make it the same, and missing balls either way. He was really apologetic about it, and I said it was also my fault for not advising him to align it how it is now. He has offered to re-do it when he is back from his holiday, so will get it sorted then.

Just a note of thanks though guys, for all input. It was appreciated.

Comment

Looking at the thread title, I thought you'd bought a big vibrator for a minute.

Comment

Lol. A small one is expensive enough. One the size of a cue would cost a fortune! Be cheaper to buy a JP ultimate!

Comment

Working...
                          X