Lead in cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead in cues

Hey I just questions about heavier cues with the weights inside them. Would there be any effects on the cue? Are there any problems associated with them in the future?

From what I understand, nearly all cues have a piece of lead in them, either for weight and/or balance issues.
    So long as they do not become loose they will not have a detrimental affect to the cue.
    If they do become loose (you will have a rattle at the butt end) it is possible for a cue maker/doctor to fix.
    It does depending entitrely what woods are being used in the construction of the cue, as obviously woods have defining densities, and also weight requested by the customer.
    The combination will determine the need for and how much lead is included.
    I am sure a cuemaker can define this better for you.
    lets see...

all the best
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

thanks for an informative reply, I wasn't aware that lead in cues is used so much, and assumed it was mostly natural weight and an odd few with lead inside them.

Comment

When Dan Shelton (aka the invisible man ) fixed a loose weight on my cue he had to put 3 pieces of 1 oz lead in to get cue up to 18.5 oz

Comment

When I was talking to Dan a few weeks ago, we chatted about leads in butts and he mentioned that the biggest problem with doing this is that the glue used to ensure the lead(s) do not move, has a tendency to expand considerably and it can "blow" out, destroying the splicing. He also mentioned the cuts in the lead to allow the glue to "flow" around the plugs.
          "Considerably" is a relative term as the leads are a very tight fit and I am sure the actual measurement is in microns.
          I notice the tape on your cue holding it all together
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Found this from a famous US Pool cue maker

http://www.predatorcues.com/predator_cues_p3_demo.php

They use a threaded weight system that allows you to experiment and tailor the weight to your preference which I find quite interesting.

I'm surprised that technology hasn't quite crept in to the Snooker cue makers unlike in US with Pool cues

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
              Found this from a famous US Pool cue maker

http://www.predatorcues.com/predator_cues_p3_demo.php

i just followed this link.

what a complete load of b*llocks.

this was the funniest quote for me - "and the stronger joint means straighter shots when you need them most"

as if a 'stronger' join can make you cue straighter...

btw, i'm all for technology and have nothing against threaded weight systems.

but that p3 demo is just a marketing vid to appeal to american morons (no offence to americans in general, just the idiots amongst you)

please god, spare us the same bullsh*t here. oh wait, we have acuerate...
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Found this to be quite amusing too...

http://www.miki-mezz.com/world/cues/...ker/index.html

Apparently, you can purchase a really heavy cue butt (to fix with your cue shaft) and practice generating cue power with it. Quote "...It will help you build strong muscles for improving your stroke..."... :snooker:

I've seen Mezz pool cues and they appear to be of good quality, solid construction and plays good too. But the marketing gimmicks for some of these american pool cues are quite bewildering...
                When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post

this was the funniest quote for me - "and the stronger joint means straighter shots when you need them most"

but that p3 demo is just a marketing vid to appeal to american morons (no offence to americans in general, just the idiots amongst you)

he he - we should have been ad men mike! can you imagine the night in the pub after we put that little lot together to advertise what is basically a massively overpriced chinese made pool cue! the laughter would last for days!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post

And here was I thinking Acuerate were going to help the planet snooker population make 147's with almost every visit, since their cue is such a new and revolutionary concept that has never before been done.......

I did think as it will no doubt make me invincible and I'll definately be world champion within a year or so, It would be an awesome investment. Never mind a supreme quality cue like yours Mike, Based on what they advertise, yours just look pretty but theirs make sure I would never miss......

Haha yeah right. I know exactly where I would go if anything happened to my cue, and it CERTAINLY isn't Germany (or china...).
                    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
                      Found this to be quite amusing too...

http://www.miki-mezz.com/world/cues/...ker/index.html

Apparently, you can purchase a really heavy cue butt (to fix with your cue shaft) and practice generating cue power with it. Quote "...It will help you build strong muscles for improving your stroke..."... :snooker:

I've seen Mezz pool cues and they appear to be of good quality, solid construction and plays good too. But the marketing gimmicks for some of these american pool cues are quite bewildering...
                      and this one is pure genius.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Just seen the link. I can't believe that American Pool players can fall for this nonsense... Utter utter tripe. What's next? A self potting pool cue?

Comment

Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
                          Just seen the link. I can't believe that American Pool players can fall for this nonsense... Utter utter tripe. What's next? A self potting pool cue?
                          Hey, that's a good idea!.. Just press a button on the cue..

Better still, have dials for how much screw or side you want then we can all masse around
                          High Break: Pre TFS (08-11) = 18
                          In beautiful Yorkshire, fancy a game?

Comment

Working...
                          X