Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you sand a cue completely round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you sand a cue completely round?

Been fooling around planing down an ash shaft and actually it is looking very good.

Not completely round yet which brings me to my question. If you have no lathe or fancy equipment how can you sand something like a shaft down to make it perfectly round?

I thought about drilling holes of different diameters in blocks of wood and then cutting those blocks in half. Should leave me with a perfectly round profile to use as a sanding block.

Any other ideas or comments?

B carefull
    while u may get a round shaft, u may get a wavy shaft down the lenght of the shaft

Hmm food for thought
    Last edited by sanman; 23 August 2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stick View Post
      Been fooling around planing down an ash shaft and actually it is looking very good.

Not completely round yet which brings me to my question. If you have no lathe or fancy equipment how can you sand something like a shaft down to make it perfectly round?

I thought about drilling holes of different diameters in blocks of wood and then cutting those blocks in half. Should leave me with a perfectly round profile to use as a sanding block.

Any other ideas or comments?
      This is what ive done. You do need to keep checking the straightness then sanding a little more, then checking again, but it can be done...
      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

you'll never get it perfectly round, but you'd be surprised how out of round lots of cues are.

it doesn't matter really, as long it feels right in your hand when you turn it. and there's a fine line there between good and poor.

what you're thinking is fine. but just keep using your eyes...
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
          you'll never get it perfectly round, but you'd be surprised how out of round lots of cues are.

it doesn't matter really, as long it feels right in your hand when you turn it. and there's a fine line there between good and poor.

Thanks Mike, my efforts thus far just increases my admiration for cue builders. I have rolled my MW countless of times across the green baize and it is perfect. Ps. When you will ash black sharks become available again?

Comment

Originally Posted by Stick View Post
            Thanks Mike, my efforts thus far just increases my admiration for cue builders. I have rolled my MW countless of times across the green baize and it is perfect. Ps. When you will ash black sharks become available again?
            had to shut the sharks down for a bit cos i was too busy. a few weeks probably.
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

hi Stick.

The problem with ash is that the wood is softer where the shaft is lighter. you must make sure that you do not end up with waves in the grain. the best aproach is slow and steady, checking the shaft frequently.

Comment

I once new a bloke who would use a hand drill to taper, creating a vertical lathe in a way. He would have the drill at his feet and use his foot to control the trigger. He was a top bloke and a top player. R.I.P. Bungy

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post

the words keith auld keep ringing in my ears here!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

lol. not such a fine line there though!
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

the jokes - too many jokes!
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

No offense. However, I do need some new tips.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                          the words keith auld keep ringing in my ears here!
                          He is a master in sanding a cue to a perfect oval. LOL
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

LOL Right idea. Wrong game.

Comment

Working...
                            X