Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to by some ebony and other hardwoods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to by some ebony and other hardwoods?

Hello.

Can any of you forum members advice me where could i buy some materials for cuemaking?

Thanks

You can buy your joints from me.
    There are lots of cuemakers on the forum they can advise about everything else required.
    Stan

Comment

there's an old chap round by me who does a lot of repiars and alterations to cues, he's in his 70's now and just does it as a bit of a hobby, so he's down the shed out of his mrs' way lol, his names stuart bunny.

his stainless steel ferrules are the best in the business, and he's top notch at what he does, and takes immense pride in it to, he doesnt make too many cues from scratch but the other day a lad gave him a shaft from his john parris cue, the boy had 2 shafts and preferred one to the other, so gave the other one to stuart.

he asked me the other day where he can get some of the good quality black ebony, he sometimes gets some woods off a guy called billy moore, who i think he said taught trevor white how to do cues when he first started out.

any help much appreciated.

thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by stan-mullin View Post
        You can buy your joints from me.
        There are lots of cuemakers on the forum they can advise about everything else required.
        Stan
        Thanks Stan.

What kind of joints do you have? I would need joints that goes with telescopic extensions of some brand. I can make the mini-butts myself but not the teles

Comment

Originally Posted by Jami View Post
          Thanks Stan.

What kind of joints do you have? I would need joints that goes with telescopic extensions of some brand. I can make the mini-butts myself but not the teles
          Hi

I do the 1Klik type see www.1klik.co.uk and I do the standard threaded joints with 3/8 whitworth thread, see ebay 290601000445

I do a range of telescopic extensions but I haven't many left, I will have more stock in a couple of months.

Stan

Comment

Does that 3/8 female joint of yours work with some tele extension on the market? I did try out that 1klik joint on couple of cues and i really like it on the butt joint. (Have one on my playing cue) But on 2pc cue id like to have joint with threads on it..just to get the brass faces "tight" enough. Dont get me wrong, i like Your 1klik but theres really no advantage of the "easynes" of it when used as butt/shaft joint.

Anyone with some advice to get some ebony etc?

sorry about my english

Jimbo

Comment

Does that 3/8 female joint of yours work with some tele extension on the market? I did try out that 1klik joint on couple of cues and i really like it on the butt joint. (Have one on my playing cue) But on 2pc cue id like to have joint with threads on it..just to get the brass faces "tight" enough. Dont get me wrong, i like Your 1klik but theres really no advantage of the "easynes" of it when used as butt/shaft joint.

sorry about my english

Jimbo
              hi Jimbo. Best thing to do is to get some from the Internet if you don't have a timber yard near you that does ebony. You can get it from a place called timberline I think. They also do other hardwoods like cocobolo, olivewood, rosewood, paduak etc. There are plenty of places that do it online, and some of the woods are really good. I got some cocobolo with fantastic figuring online.
              Joints can also be got from craftsman cues, they are about £7 each. Ferrules are also available online.
              Also, check out mike wooldridge. (he's on here) he has an online shop thingy that has cuemaker parts for sale, such as joints, splices etc....
              Hope this helps.
              Dean
              If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Hello Deant

Thanks a lot Dean for the info. Gotta checkout that timberline. We dont really have a place here up north where i could get some exotic woods. Have ordered some online from Germany(got a piece of Lignum Vitae from there but wont use it on another cue.Bit tricky to work,at least for me was) but looking for options to maybe Save a penny or two and get good Quality materials.Those two things does not go hand in hand i guess. Been surfing on MWs site,one place to get some for sure.

Comment

sorry about my english

Jimbo
                  Hi Jimbo

Glad you like the 1Klik, as a butt joint it is unbeatable.
                  The threaded ones I have do fit a couple of cuemakers joints, but most try to have slightly different threads to help with their sales of extensions.
                  I am bringing a new joint shortly called the QKlik but I am still doing trials at the moment.

Stan

Comment

hi stan what are the extensions you have thanks jim

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                      hi stan what are the extensions you have thanks jim
                      Hi Jim

This is what I had in the 1Klik extenders, I have a couple left, but I will be making some more shortly, as far as I know Mark Joyce is the only pro using my extension at the moment, although quite a few have got them (Ronnie, Hendry, Cope, Harold, Pinches and a few others). They make excellent extendable rests as well.

BB-0 180mm unopened, extends to 250mm
                      BB-1 300mm unopened, extends to 445mm
                      BB-2 545mm unopened, extends to 915mm
                      BB-3 775mm unopened, extends to 1300mm

The company in Germany I had making them has since gone bust, so I am trying to have them made elsewhere.

Stan

Comment

Originally Posted by stan-mullin View Post
                        Hi Jim

This is what I had in the 1Klik extenders, I have a couple left, but I will be making some more shortly, as far as I know Mark Joyce is the only pro using my extension at the moment, although quite a few have got them (Ronnie, Hendry, Cope, Harold, Pinches and a few others). They make excellent extendable rests as well.

BB-0 180mm unopened, extends to 250mm
                        BB-1 300mm unopened, extends to 445mm
                        BB-2 545mm unopened, extends to 915mm
                        BB-3 775mm unopened, extends to 1300mm

The company in Germany I had making them has since gone bust, so I am trying to have them made elsewhere.

Stan
                        Any picture, please?
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                          Any picture, please?

You've got one Airin!

Comment

hi stan i put 1 of the 1click joints in the butt of the cue ime using at moment and made a 300 ext for it so ile have 1 of the bb3 long ones ile pm later mate

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
                              hi Jimbo. Best thing to do is to get some from the Internet if you don't have a timber yard near you that does ebony. You can get it from a place called timberline I think. They also do other hardwoods like cocobolo, olivewood, rosewood, paduak etc. There are plenty of places that do it online, and some of the woods are really good. I got some cocobolo with fantastic figuring online.
                              Joints can also be got from craftsman cues, they are about £7 each. Ferrules are also available online.
                              Also, check out mike wooldridge. (he's on here) he has an online shop thingy that has cuemaker parts for sale, such as joints, splices etc....
                              Hope this helps.
                              Dean
                              Thanks Dean

Its pretty hard to get ebony from here up north. I got some from one place here but it was just one piece. (quite big "log" of it. Very black and even color. But Lots of wastage . Wormholes and cracks.)Gotta check out that timberline. I have been surfing on MWs site,thats one place to get some for sure.

Stan, hope you get your joint/extension thing sorted. Qklik sounds interesting,hope we can see some of those soon.

Jami

Comment

Working...
                              X