Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrule Keeps Snapping Off

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me my brother has a cue made from Tony Glover and about 2 month ago the ferrule had broke at the tip of of the shaft and broken off so had this fixed and again tonight the same thing has happened can anyone tell me why this is happening and is there anyway to fix this this.

Is it a small ferrule diameter or something ?? or maybe got dodgy wood, does he whack the ball particularly hard ?

Comment

I think the best thing to do is take it back to Tony. There must be a reason if it's happened twice. I took my cue to him to get fixed, and he seems a very nice and knowledgable guy so will be able to sort it for you. If it is bad wood, he'll prob make a replacement, but I doubt it would be that.
      Give him a ring and talk to him about it. Im sure he'll help.
      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

The ferrulle is not that small of diamater i think its over 9mm and yeah thats what i have been thinking must give him a ring to see what he says

Comment

Hi guys, a bit off topic here..Have you guys ever contacted Tony via email? I wanted to order a cue off him and sent an email but he hasn't replied yet.
          Don't want to ring him unless necessary because oversea phone call costs a lot here

Comment

hi, nine times out of ten its dry wood. stay away from using super glue on tips or ferrules

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
              hi, nine times out of ten its dry wood. stay away from using super glue on tips or ferrules
              Just about everyone uses superglue for their tips, or is the gel type ok ??

Comment

superglue will destroy wood after time ,on tips its marginal but on ferrules its fatal. use epoxy or tweetens, still the best!

Comment

Tweetens? You mean the tip cement? :O
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                    superglue will destroy wood after time ,on tips its marginal but on ferrules its fatal. use epoxy or tweetens, still the best!
                    May I ask what personal experience you have of superglue 'destroying' wood?

I've never seen any evidence of this being the case and I'm curious to hear from anyone who has actually used it and seen a problem occur themselves.

(please, no input from people who merely repeat what they heard from someone else at some point in their life and pass it on relentlessly as a 'fact')

Also, another misconception, gel is only 'better' in the respect that it is easier to use and less likely that you'll get it all over the shaft and ferrule.

So, jrc, use whatever superglue you can lay your hands on for tips cos i've done that for over 25 years and I've not seen my ferrules snap off or any 'destruction' of wood occur.

Matt-10ant - sounds like a 'rogue' bit of wood that's 'dead' i.e. dried right out and is brittle.

I had this myself once, shaft actually seemed ok and looked fine but the ferrule kept snapping off. On close inspection, the wood was clearly very very dry inside. I tried all i could to save this shaft but ultimately it was just 'dead' and had to be binned.

Did glover fix it the first time?

Either way, phone glover, they are nice people and I'm sure will help solve your issue even if it means replacing it.
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                      (please, no input from people who merely repeat what they heard from someone else at some point in their life and pass it on relentlessly as a 'fact')
                      Love it....

Comment

Matt never bought the cue from glover NEW. picked it up for his bro 2nd hand a while back..so doubt glover would replace it...

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                          Matt never bought the cue from glover NEW. picked it up for his bro 2nd hand a while back..so doubt glover would replace it...
                          well he's f*cked then...
                          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I had a complete refinish new tip new ferrule etc from Glover when i first got the cue which was second hand as Cally mentioned and also the second time i had a friend put a new ferrule on the cue when it happened again like you say the shaft must be dry wood.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                              well he's f*cked then...
                              Could you be a bit more specific please...........lol

Comment

Working...
                              X