Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jian Ying Cue Review

Hello folks!

I was looking for reviews of Jian Ying Cues but never found any. Thought I would take the plunge to see what they're all about. People have said that they are really bad and some people have said they are pretty nice. I've posted the link to my picasa album, see for yourself!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1077958...CLDvjr-v17-efA

I bought a "limited edition" cue. Supposedly only 2 were made. I paid about 100 US for it and another 23 for shipping.

I currently use a Mastercue Champion (I have 2) and I've made breaks of 70s with them. Everything I say will be compared to those cues as I haven't been fortunate enough to hold a JP Ultimate in my hand. But I do know what good craftsmanship is and I've played with my dad's cue which was given to him by his good friend Geet Sethi (billiards champion).

I'm taking it out for a practice session tomorrow and I will post what I think of the cue's playability later.

In terms of the cue's quality, I can say that I am genuinely surprised by the quality.

The shaft is dead on straight, the butt is well weighted and the extensions are of good quality. The finish on the cue is well done as well, very slick, feels like it's an expensive piece of work. The case is decent. So overall, so far so good!

What I would like someone's opinion on is whether the cue is machine spliced or actually hand spliced like they say it is.

I'll post what I think it plays like tomorrow. Good day!

So...Tell us what u think of the cue..I've seen them too and was wondering about the quality and feel......they sure are priced right...

Comment

I did not know that my post had been published. How long does a post take to show up after you create it?

Thoughts on the cue:

Considering what I paid for it, It is a bargain.

Pretty decent feel on the shots, then again, I don't know what a John Parris cue or H&O cue feels like when you hit with it. My only reference point is the Mastercue Champion that I use.

I actually think I got lucky with a good piece of wood. However, the tip it came with was not too good, I changed it to an O min Red which is what I have started using recently. After the tip change, it's not too bad. The feel on long pots is nice (hard hits), not as good as my usual cue but I liked it. The feel on short to medium range pots is good too (semi hard hits to touch shots). So overall, not too shabby. Keep in mind that it only cost me $123 dollars overall. The finishing on the cue is well done as you can see in the pictures. The mini butt however is shabbily done. Not the polished piece of wood that usually goes along with the butt. Almost a rubberized texture.

If you look on ebay, there are some outrageous designs available in the splicing. Therefore, it gives you a great opportunity to be unique with a rather odd cue. I bought a subtle design however and it also looks like there are tiers in quality among the Jian Ying cues available. Mine was priced higher than a couple other ones from the same seller.

Would I recommend anyone to buy these? Yes. Only if you are a beginner and you need a cheap cue. You can get a decent cue with nice details on it for a rather cheap price. If you're a 30+ break maker, look elsewhere. You get what you pay for, that's one thing I've learnt when it comes to sports that require expensive equipment.

On a side note, I have recently purchased a John Parris Traditional. Once I get it, I will post my opinion about the differences between the two cues. Hopefully, there is a substantial difference!

Cheers!

Comment

i'm not fortunate enough to own a JP or trevor white cue And i'm sure there's a big difference in craftmanship between them and jian ying but i bought a couple of jian ying and they play nicely . of course splicing is not perfect but the last one i bought ( received it last week ) is good . paid 39 pounds for the cue , extensions , aluminium case and shipping so for that kind of price you can't expect much better
        a lot of people have been realy negative here about these chinese cues trying to compare with others much more expensive brands
        i think you'll enjoy cue if you don't expect too much of it

Comment

I bought 2 of these cue's and to me they are a quality cue, more importantly, they are very well priced.

Fact is, I am unable to fault them in any way.
          Last edited by blinky88; 21 October 2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

jian ying is the company who has committed trademark preemptive registration of john parris cues, which i think is a big insult to chinese snooker industry

Comment

Hello Ajit. How u doing mate? whereabouts in USA r u from? i am moving from london to Michigan. and need your advice on how the game is evolving over in US.

Comment

Hello! I'm doing awesome at the moment. I go to university in Illinois, as far as how the game is evolving here, I'd say not too impressive in terms of progress currently. Snooker is practically unheard of in the US. http://www.findsnooker.com/

Look at the website and see if there are full size tables close to you in Michigan. On the east coast however, snooker is very popular due to obvious reasons.

Comment

hi

HI
                  Ajit, whereabouts in USA you live? i am moving to Michigan withing a year and a half time. thanks to your link. i foung a club called earl's place, the only club where they have "one" full sized table.
                  do you know how much its gona cost me in dollars if i want to buy a full size table in usa??

You made 70 breaks!! well done mate. you must be a decent player. anyway i sent a friend request and also added you as contact.

So keep in touch. and i will require your advise once i get there. i wonder how they will treat someone holding a cue with british accent.

cheers mate

Comment

Do they play by some different set of rule in the US?
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Jian Ying Cues is a nice cues for a beginer. But sometimes their shafts a little bit wippy. And the weight of these cues about 19 to 20oz, which is pretty heavy.

Comment

Working...
                      X