Thin Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Butt

It happens that i have been given a cue which i quite like, butthe butt is rather thin at27.5mm. i feel very unnatural at the moment, i might give it a go for a while though.

Has anyone ever used such a thin butt, what are advantages and disadvantages in terms of feel, control, or grip etc?

Thanks for sharing

INOFFTHERED uses a 25mm butt and loves it...

He recently been using a 27 (ish)mm butt lately too..

No doubt he will be along soon to tell ya about it....:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
      INOFFTHERED uses a 25mm butt and loves it...

He recently been using a 27 (ish)mm butt lately too..

No doubt he will be along soon to tell ya about it....:snooker:
      Haha. Thanks for the build up Cally. Mchpddl1, horses for courses m8. If you've always been used to a more traditional shaped butt ( above 27mm ) it might take you a while to get adapted to it.

I personally prefer a simmer cue all round, the butt on my my old JP being 25mm ( though a stripper was meant to present themselves at the WC's this past April/May, but that's ANOTHER story ). Let's just say I've no reason to lie and HAVE used a cue butt THAT thin.

I've recently switched over to a TW cue which is 27mm, totally round butt, no chamfer and absolutely love it. For me, I can def. get more fizz on the cueball with a slimmer butt, but this might be down to me being technically inferior. Maybe Del Hill can tell me where I'm going wrong some day soon!

To give you an idea of how I've got here, when I first started playing seriously back in 1986, my first cue was 57.5", 17.5oz, 31mm butt WITH chamfer. Now I'm using a TW that is 58", 27mm totally round butt, 18.8oz. Even now I'm still thinking of going back to my old JP. To me, it was THAT good. But as we get older, doubts creep in and I'm the one with the issues ( I think I know the TSF members who will back me up on this LOL ).

Comment

I did used to use a thinner butt cue (I'm certain someone said 25mm, as he made me a customer extension for it). I loved it. Only reason I sold it was I brought my current cue at a brilliant price. As soon as picked my cue up it felt right, so couldn't say no. Other than that, I'd probably still be using that original cue. It was a long, slow, even taper all the way down it. Brilliant cue, and I made my first ever 50+ with it. There is no positive or negitive to using a smaller butted cue, as long as its made well.
        My current cues are -
        Main cue - Aeon Ash 3/4, 18oz, 57.5", 9.5mm kamui MH tip, 29.5mm butt.
        Currently using (main cue joint is f**ked) Mastercue Ultimate maple 3/4, approx 17oz, 57", 9.5mm Kamui MH tip, 29mm butt.
        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I would say hand size and length of fingers would be the main criteria however it is right to say 'whatever turns you on'. I know Alain Robidoux has normal sized hands but prefers a smaller butt at 24mm I believe. Although it might be when he started out as a youngster he had small hands and had to use a thinner butt.

I'll ask him in December when I see him in Montreal (unless Montrealer beats me to it)

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Agreed. Hand size, length of fingers and what you've grown up with all play a part. The size where you grip is the important measurement IMO. Butts can start at 31mm and taper quickly or start at 29mm and taper slowly. If it feels nice for you then its ok. Further down the cue I've been struggling with the size at the bridge end. My bridge looks to be around 7" from tip and my trusty 30 year old cue is about 11.7mm at this point. Quite thin I think? Last two cues I've bought are a bit thicker and just don't feel right. Anyone got any opinions on shaft taper?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
              Further down the cue I've been struggling with the size at the bridge end. My bridge looks to be around 7" from tip and my trusty 30 year old cue is about 11.7mm at this point. Quite thin I think? Last two cues I've bought are a bit thicker and just don't feel right. Anyone got any opinions on shaft taper?
              I hear ya on this one. When I ordered my TW, I spoke with Trev about this. 11.7mm seems about right. That's just the right thickness that I'm used to on a cue. Any more than that and it feels as if the cue is resting on top of the bridge hand, rather than cue'ing nicely through the V groove. Each to their own though, I'm just talking from my own exp.

Comment

lol i thought this topic was about a totally different subject en.

Comment

Some players like to hold their cues real loose in the fingers while others hold theirs more in the palms; some like a big opening of the fingers on the back swing while others just open a little. I believe this will affect how they like their butts as well.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                  X