No announcement yet.

Lathe for use in the near future??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hear dan shelton's got a nice lathe for sale, he doesnt use it anymore.

good luck with getting hold of him though.....

Comment

lol i couldnt resist

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
        Hi,
        My wood lathe went for £500 on ebay. It did pay for itself so no great problems with that.

Scott, If your attempting a one off then you could do all the making your prepared to do by hand and then send it to a cue maker to have it weighted and a Mini joint added?
        Pretty much every lathe out there will need some modifications and extras to accommodate a cue and your unlikely to find that in a run of the mill engineers workshop. Your even more unlikely to find a cue maker who will let you near his lathe.

Think about what you want to do and how you can do it and then research into what lathes there are that could provide the solution. Then youll have costs and 3 phase power sources and weights of machines and a million other problems.
        But if you want to start up cue making then its an expensive hobby, we are talking 1000's and a fair few of them just for the tools, then the wood is another massive cost if its own. And be warned, its addictive!!!

Ooh by the way im selling my pillar drill, perfectly good for drilling badge holes. Ive picked up another one. £50 and its yours, will even meet you at ringwood to exchange.
        Thanks for the info Jason, ive done lots of research so far, but will wait until im at the right stage before investing in machinery. As for the drill press, thanks i might hold you to it if its still available in the near future!!

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
          Yes, I had in the past. With a ferrule tenon cutter. It is a much cheaper machine to buy than a lathe. It cuts the tenon for your ferrule to go on.

If it is a 3/4 butt you can also use a drill press to do the socket. If it is a one piece cue you can do it with a drill but you need some set up so the drill can go in horizontally with the cue mounted. It is not easy.

If you dont want to spend any money on any half decent lathe, the best way is probably to just pay your cue maker to get it done right. It really is not worth it to save that little bit of money and risk butchering all your hard work on a socket.
          Wicked, thanks for that, the cutter looks good, will practice without one first on some small wood blanks and see what happens!!!

Comment

Working...
          X