No announcement yet.

Ash cue v Maple cue, the pros and cons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash cue v Maple cue, the pros and cons.

I think i'll be changing my cue soon to a cue thats fractionally longer with a bit more weight, ive always played with an ash cue but i may consider changing to a maple. I prefer a more denser, heavier shaft as i like to feel as though the shaft has some weight to it.

I wouldn't mind hearing from people that have made a similar switch, has a maple cue felt better in your hand and improved your game along with your confidence or did you go back to an ash cue after trying a maple ?

It will be a 3/4 cue jointed at around 14 or 15 inches.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by The Stig; 4 October 2011, 02:23 PM.
    sigpic

www.handmadecues.com have a good piece on this issue. Also try searching for topics with 'maple' in the title, plenty on there.
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
      www.handmadecues.com have a good piece on this issue. Also try searching for topics with 'maple' in the title, plenty on there.
      Thats a great write up, thanks for the link.
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...emakers-Choice

this might help too mate.
        H.b.142

Comment

i've never known anyone switch from ash to maple and like it.

if you want heavier, there are plenty of denser heavier ash shafts out there. changing to maple is not your answer.
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
            i've never known anyone switch from ash to maple and like it.

if you want heavier, there are plenty of denser heavier ash shafts out there. changing to maple is not your answer.
            Mark me down as your one!

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
              Mark me down as your one!
              ok, there are exceptions to the rule of course

however, if someone has used ash for years, then tries maple, they invariably do not like it.

for a relative newcomer, the change will come easier.

but i stand by my generalisation. you won't like it if you are used to ash.
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

however, if someone has used ash for years, then tries maple, they invariably do not like it.

This sounds right to me from experience. I think it's actually the higher density of maple that can make it feel unresponsive sometimes.

I like both but to me ash gives a sharper, more direct response that is easier to master. When I first tried maple years ago I enjoyed exploring the different feel and thought it felt like a 'delayed' response somehow.
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

I agree with what ur saying.

My reasons for preferring maple is because of the smoothness and plain looking.

Comment

I have used a maple for 25 yrs and then got an ash, which I just love and play very with very well (whether better than previously I am not sure) but I can only state that when playing with the ash, that is as smooth as can be, I can still feel, every now and then, the grain (usually more so when waiting for my shot) but not enough to put off my game. Even though I do notice the grain as I am down on the shot it does not interfer with my play.
                    But I must say that I am still looking for "the" maple as my next cue.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      But I must say that I am still looking for "the" maple as my next cue.
                      that'll be the one i have here then. i've got some great maple. only trouble is i'm too expensive for most
                      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

that'll be the one i have here then. i've got some great maple. only trouble is i'm too expensive for most
                        I know you have some fantastic maple in stock at the moment (if not before) but after getting a £600 quote from your VCM they are way beyond my meagre means
                        Unless you do a mega TSF discount
                        ... one day...
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hey, I'm highly interested on it. How can I order from you with those great maple?

Comment

Hey, I'm highly interested on it. How can I order from you with those great maple?

Comment

Yeah ! Mike the craftsmanship of your cue is good , and play well too, but expensive!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X