No announcement yet.

Ash cue v Maple cue, the pros and cons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally use an Ash cue (have done for 15 years), but that is currently benched until Mike the Master fixes the joint. Whilst it was originally getting sorted (not by MW for the record) I used a few cues that were completely different to my normal cue, so I decided to get a spare which is closer to my specs, and I ended up buying a mastercue maple from ADR. It is beautifully made, but lighter than my ash cue.
    In terms of playablility, it is pretty good. The shaft is slightly less responsive than my ash, but there really isn't a big difference apart from the grain. I had a 50+ with it last week, so it can't be to bad. I would say it is definately easier to go from an ash to maple than the other way. If you are a fairly newcomer, it won't really matter which one choose as you'll get used to either. I personally think it is harder to swap one ash cue for another as opposed to ash to maple, but thats just my opinion.
    Dean
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by lloouu View Post
      Hey, I'm highly interested on it. How can I order from you with those great maple?
      see MW's superb website, register and then you can use the Virtual Cue Maker, also have a look at the shop as well.
      www.handmadecues.com
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by lloouu View Post
        Hey, I'm highly interested on it. How can I order from you with those great maple?
        I have maple in stock in my shop. Check there first.

Email me if you have any questions

info@handmadecues.com
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by cueinhand View Post
          Yeah ! Mike the craftsmanship of your cue is good , and play well too, but expensive!!!
          You get what you pay for my friend
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
            You get what you pay for my friend
            Time will tell.......
            If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I got rid of my maple cue as it just felt dead, sounded dead on the shot and generally felt like I was playing with a house brick.

Good luck!
              One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

I find myself getting sloppy with my technique when i use an ash cue but still getting the same results. its very noticeable if i change after frames. this is only my opinion though, a maple cue keeps you very honest in your stroke

Comment

My current cue is being serviced so i used a Parris Ambassador last night...so nasty i couldnt quite believe it was a Parris! Perhaps it was the 9mm tip but it felt and sounded like i was using a metal cue. Had arrows pointing UP the shaft aswell, not seen that before!

So switching from an ash cue to another ash can be bad enough, let alone ash to Maple!
                  Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                    My current cue is being serviced so i used a Parris Ambassador last night...so nasty i couldnt quite believe it was a Parris!
                    Lol, I'm the other way round. I've had plenty of 'nasty' ones in for repair/alteration. It's when I see a good one that I can't quite believe it's a Parris! :snooker:
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by connorw View Post
                      I find myself getting sloppy with my technique when i use an ash cue but still getting the same results. its very noticeable if i change after frames. this is only my opinion though, a maple cue keeps you very honest in your stroke
                      I agree, quality ash is more forgiving and using both might be a good way to improve a player's feel for the cueball. At the risk of sounding like one of those Chinese ebay sellers, I think there is a bit more finess in controlling the white with maple. I don't know why but maybe due to the different density the response comes a bit later in the stroke, it certainly feels that way to me.
                      Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                        Lol, I'm the other way round. I've had plenty of 'nasty' ones in for repair/alteration. It's when I see a good one that I can't quite believe it's a Parris! :snooker:
                        Well i have no idea what mine is to be honest, has a 'customised cue' parris badge and a bob akers joint and thats all i know. My old coach did lots of work for the big tournaments in times gone by so had loads of cues through his contacts.
                        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

I've always used a maple cue when I used to play snooker 20 years ago.

When I started playing UK Pool I started using my old maple snooker cue but it didn't feel right after borrowing a mates ash cue with 8mm tip so decided to buy an ash pool spec cue for which I have had a few lighter ash cues to try since then.

I ordered a new lightweight maple pool spec cue as an experiment and I'm amazed how much better this feels for me. I can only suspect that my maple snooker cue (when playing pool) with larger tip and also heavier weight was more to blame than the maple shaft characteristics.

I also find ash grain can be distracting as it catches the eye when it's not in a particular position. If I ever order a new cue it would be maple every time from now on.
                          Last edited by sootyvrs; 6 October 2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                            I've always used a maple cue when I used to play snooker 20 years ago.

When I started playing UK Pool I started using my old maple snooker cue but it didn't feel right after borrowing a mates ash cue with 8mm tip so decided to buy an ash pool spec cue for which I have had a few lighter ash cues to try since then.

I ordered a new lightweight maple pool spec cue as an experiment and I'm amazed how much better this feels for me. I can only suspect that my maple snooker cue (when playing pool) with larger tip and also heavier weight was more to blame than the maple shaft characteristics.

I also find ash grain can be distracting as it catches the eye when it's not in a particular position. If I ever order a new cue it would be maple every time from now on.
                            Who made you ur maple cue? What spec did you go for in the end?

Each cue is different dont forget.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                              Who made you ur maple cue? What spec did you go for in the end?

Each cue is different dont forget.
                              I had a custom made cue by King Cue from Thialand.

My specs were for a lightweight 15.5 oz ebony 3/4 maple cue at 55" long with 8.5mm MW super tip but I now use this shaft with a shorter butt that was made for me earlier for another cue I had.

So my cue is now only 51" long and 13.8oz and I've never played so well at UK Pool. I use the longer butt for when I need extra reach which I can also attach a mini butt.

I guess the spec is rather extreme but I'm shocked how well it plays even though it looks not perfect as the short butt is not flush with the shaft but this doesn't bother me.

Still getting used it it so once once I know this spec is perfect medium/long term, I might get a high end cue custom made to this spec.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                                I had a custom made cue by King Cue from Thialand.

My specs were for a lightweight 15.5 oz ebony 3/4 maple cue at 55" long with 8.5mm MW super tip but I now use this shaft with a shorter butt that was made for me earlier for another cue I had.

So my cue is now only 51" long and 13.8oz and I've never played so well at UK Pool. I use the longer butt for when I need extra reach which I can also attach a mini butt.

I guess the spec is rather extreme but I'm shocked how well it plays even though it looks not perfect as the short butt is not flush with the shaft but this doesn't bother me.

Still getting used it it so once once I know this spec is perfect medium/long term, I might get a high end cue custom made to this spec.
                                I wouldnt mind having a go on that.

I prefer short cues for pool. The problem with such short cues is selling them on when you decide you want something new / different.

Comment

Working...
                                X