Aurora Cues Assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora Cues Assessment

I would just like to make some comments on Aurora Cues (poolqjunkie on here). In the past 2-1/2 years I've purchased either for myself or my students somewhere around 7 Aurora cues.

I've never received a cue from Airin that did not have the best workmanship and I've always had a positive experience when communicating with Airin or Richard, getting quick responses to all my questions and concerns. The added bonus is Aurora is located in Canada so I escape custom's duty and taxes.

I recently decided to try out a top quality cue which was heavier due to the very slow conditions we play our ranking events on. I checked with Airin and asked for an ash 3/4-butt with 9.4mm ferrule (thin walled), 57", 19.4oz and butt diameter 29mm.

I got a quick response from Airin who told me he had a cue available which he could modify to my specs and we chatted via email on why I wanted something heavy and a few weeks later the cue arrived. Especially important to me was the cue had to have a VERY smooth ash shaft and also a thin-walled ferrule. With the cue Airin provided TWO mini-butts which both had butt sockets along with a standard tele-extension, so they will all fit together, which I thought was a pretty neat idea.

I would like to add the cue arrived EXACTLY on spec with no variances and with absolute top quality wormanship. The shaft was super-smooth and the ferrule was exactly 9.4mm with the weight at exactly 19.4oz and the butt diameter perfect at 29mm.

I have been testing this cue and have discovered at 19.4oz I went a bit overboard so I will likely be selling this one, however since I know I will only get a top quality cue from Airin I've ordered another cue with the same specs except with the weight at 18.5oz which is probably a little more reasonable. The one thing that REALLY surprised me was even with this weight this cue has LESS throw when using side than my own TW.

Although I haven't had a chance to see or try all the top cuemakers (MW, Tony Wilshaw, Dave Coutts, etc.) I presently play with a Trevor White and have had two Robin Cooks, many O'Min, a couple from unclevit, one LK.T and 6 John Parris cues and I can say the workmanship and quality of an Aurora cue is at least as good as any of the top cuemakers and the cost is fair for the quality you will receive.

So for anyone looking for a new custom-made cue in the traditional method try contacting poolqjunkie and get a quote from Airin. You will be happy with what you receive. Although, unfortunately Airin does face expensive shipping charges from Canada but he has worked out a solution to that if the customer doesn't mind waiting a few extra days for delivery.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Thanks Terry. Thats a very detail and helpful assessment
    The quality of Aurora cues look to be top quality from the photos.
    I have contacted Airin before for a custom cue but he is fulfilled with backlog and does't have a shaft thats long enough for my cue.
    I guess quality work requires patience..so hopefully can place my order in December
    BTW, the aurora cue website looks brilliant!

Comment

Originally Posted by KevinMA View Post
      BTW, the aurora cue website looks brilliant!
      Not seen that, cannot find via google, can you send url please
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        Not seen that, cannot find via google, can you send url please
        http://www.auroracues.com/
        "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Thanks, now how did I miss that

Comment

Thank you so much Terry for your repeat support and interest in my work. It is always a pleasure dealing with a class act such as yourself.
            Really appreciate your kind words. Thank you.
            Here are some pictures of the cue and extensions that I made for Terry. Thank you.

Last edited by poolqjunkie; 14 October 2011, 06:05 PM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I like that shaft chevrons and more importantly, the thickness of the cue
              Are the tapers of your cues slimmer than others cue maker, Airin?
              In the photos, they always look slim to me.

Forgot the mention how good the communication was when I tried to tried to order a custom cue and purchased my aurora chalk pouch and tips.
              As Terry said, Airin is very polite and provided very detail and honest replies everytime.

Comment

First time I've seen an extension like that, absolute genius!
                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                  First time I've seen an extension like that, absolute genius!
                  Thank you. Glad you like it.
                  I just thought this set up would allow the player to reach those hard to reach shots that cannot be reached with just the long telescopic. It also offers the flexibility so the player can choose to use the mini one at a time or jointed. Because you can insert the pins into the extension sockets you can save quite a bit room in your case. All the minis and telescopic and the butt section of the 3/4 butt, when all jointed, fit very nicely inside a regular 3/4 case with room left for chalk.:-)
                  With some 3/4 cues, especially if the butt section is long, you cannot fit a mini, mini telescopic and a long telescopic all in the same slot.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Airin,

Your website is first class - love it! Great assessment from Terry. Keep doing what you are doing the way that you are doing it(might have to read this twice).
                    The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

very nice work airin.

First look at the website for me as well. Certainly strong gui and quality images.

One problem I can see is their is no prices on the site (even if a guide, ie plain ebony butt = £150 or wotever).

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                        very nice work airin.

First look at the website for me as well. Certainly strong gui and quality images.

One problem I can see is their is no prices on the site (even if a guide, ie plain ebony butt = £150 or wotever).
                        Thank you for visiting my site. Actually the site is not ready yet.
                        I will launch it officially when it is completed.:-)
                        My web master is still working on a web shop for the site.
                        I was kind of hoping to keep the site out of this thread because it is not ready yet, but I am glad to hear that you guys like it.:-)
                        Anyway...do you like the cue and the idea of the minis?:-)
                        Last edited by poolqjunkie; 15 October 2011, 04:54 AM.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

My experience deal with Aurora (Richard) is absolutely satisfied. Very well made product (in term of playability and craftsmanship), good service and creative. Well done!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                            I was kind of hoping to keep the site out of this thread because it is not ready yet, but I am glad to hear that you guys like it.:-)
                            Yes mate.

Will look back when complete.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                              Sorry for jumping the schedule
                              Love the look and the interface, only one comment, the screens take a while to download (I have 3.5Mb) maybe reduce the quality/res of the components just a tad so enable fast changes <shrug?> A slight change should not be detrimental to the users pleasure of your work.
                              Cheers
                              Look forward to the official launch.

Comment

Working...
                              X