Is Maple stiffer than Ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Maple stiffer than Ash

Just wanted to ask the question is maple generaly stiffer the ash?

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
    Just wanted to ask the question is maple generaly stiffer the ash?
    I used to think it was (in my experience anyway) but one day Trev said it all comes down to the wood chosen, can be either/or

Comment

Thanks JRC.

Comment

When I talked to Robin Cook about him making a pool cue with pro taper but with ash shaft instead of usual maple shaft he said that maple is much stiffer than the ash and that the cue will be very whippy if the ash is pro tapered...
        You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
        BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Pro taper being very thin and with little taper in the last 12 inch's or more?

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
            Pro taper being very thin and with little taper in the last 12 inch's or more?
            That is correct
            BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Originally Posted by vucko117 View Post
              When I talked to Robin Cook about him making a pool cue with pro taper but with ash shaft instead of usual maple shaft he said that maple is much stiffer than the ash and that the cue will be very whippy if the ash is pro tapered...
              With all due respect, it all depends on the piece of timber chosen. Some maple shafts are very soft and some ash shafts are very stiff and vice versa.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

"Pro taper being very thin and with little taper in the last 12 inch's or more"

What effect does this make on the cue? is it better power, or better spin, or something?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  I used to think it was (in my experience anyway) but one day Trev said it all comes down to the wood chosen, can be either/or
                  I've only ever used 2 maple cues, so not got vast experience on the subject, but those 2 cues were both quite a bit stiffer than any ash cue I've used. I agree the timber used would play a part and a good and experienced cue maker can select a very stiff piece of Ash and a not so stiff piece of maple. I think on the whole, yes, maple is generally stiffer than ash, although there will obviously be exceptions.
                  If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

As mentioned Ash and maple can be stiff or whippy. Out of all the cues I've used the extremes have been Ash cues at both whippy and stiff.

The maple cues I've used so far tend to be medium stiffness and less extreme in stiffness but perhaps that's just more luck than anything.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                      With all due respect, it all depends on the piece of timber chosen. Some maple shafts are very soft and some ash shafts are very stiff and vice versa.
                      Have you ever made a pool cue with ash shaft? That was my dream, to have pool cue with pro tapered ash shaft Break cue you have made for me, with an ash shaft was the best break I have ever used and the shaft was perfect for breaking off, but I've got the impression that maple break cues are A LOT stiffer...

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
                      "Pro taper being very thin and with little taper in the last 12 inch's or more"

What effect does this make on the cue? is it better power, or better spin, or something?
                      I don't really know what is the purpose of pro taper. I know that it is much easier to use closed bridge when the cue is tapered that way. And I think that pro taper is making a cue a bit whippier, and perhaps helps you to make better spins, but I am not too sure about that...
                      BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Originally Posted by vucko117 View Post
                        Have you ever made a pool cue with ash shaft? That was my dream, to have pool cue with pro tapered ash shaft Break cue you have made for me, with an ash shaft was the best break I have ever used and the shaft was perfect for breaking off, but I've got the impression that maple break cues are A LOT stiffer...
                        I recently got a Parris Special pool spec cue, 8.2mm ferrule, with an ash shaft, my previous cue being a maple with 8.2 ferrule as well.
                        As far as I am concerned they have the same stiffness (negligible difference) both being about "middling" – not too stiff and not too whippy either – just right for me
                        As to tapering, I am not sure, the JP is probably his standard (whatever that is) and I can see some tapering down the shaft. My old maple (maker unknown) looks like a fairly straight, consistent taper all the way down.
                        "Is Maple stiffer than Ash?" I tend to go with the point that wood is a natural material and you can get variations across both species so no generalisation can be made. Tapering I think is the main contributor to the stiffness required and would be dependent to the individual shaft.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I am talking about US pool cue not UK pool
                          BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

oops, sorry
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Try hornbeam.Hornbeam is the stiffest timber for shafts that I know of,should take a pro taper easily,however if you put laminated tips on ( I have a Talisman S in 9mm on one of my hornbeam cues ) be prepared to take time getting to know your cue again.Fantastic breaking cue but a pain in the backside if you are even a fraction out on timing while you are playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X