Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which cue maker uses SD joint besides JP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cue maker uses SD joint besides JP?

I use a wide 3/4 cue case which have enough room to hold two 3/4 cues plus one set of extensions (i.e a 21"-35" telescopic plus a 6" mini butt).

I currently own a John Parris 3/4 cue and would like to purchase another cue that can share extensions with my JP. I know that Master Cues (the Thai one) also use a SD joint. Although their extensions have a shorter screw shaft, but I know it can be used with my JP cue.

My question is are there any other cue makers that also use a SD extension joint which can be shared with my JP? I would like to know my options before deciding which one to buy.

The ones I am interested are :
    1. Master - yes
    2. Trevor White - ?
    3. Aurora - ?
    4. Will Hunt - ?
    5. Hunt & Osborne - ?
    6. Tony Glover - ?
    7. Mike Wooldridge - ?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Aurora cue extension can be used on all JP cues, but a JP extension pin is a bit long to be inserted fully into an Aurora cue.
    If you mention this when you order your Aurora cue, the insert can be made deeper for you.
    On the other hand, a full set of Aurora extensions (35" long tele, 13.5" mini tele, 6" mini, 3" baby mini...) will fit your JP cue with no problem at all without any modification.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you.:-)
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Sorry, but I thought SD joint is a generic name for the extension joint installed at the butt end of a cue and not a specific joint type. Reason it being called SD (i.e. abbreviated from Steve Davis) joint was because Steve popularised it after Parris installed it on his cue.

Or am I completely mistaken?

I face the same problem as you D2xed... cue makers all seem to use their own extension joint types and I'm building up a collection of extensions which I hardly ever use...

To my best knowledge... Parris SD joint kinda fits Mastercue as you already know... It won't fit older Trevor White cues but he changed extension joints a couple of months ago, so who knows (anybody?)... It won't fit typical Glover cues but he may be able to tinkle with the joint he has; check with him... It won't fit Robin cues...

It's best if you can find out straight from the horse's mouth or maybe someone like ADR147 who handles lots of cues have the answer to your query.
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I personally hate making mini and extension. I wanted to use the most common pin on all my cues so customers can just use their own extensions.
        But as it turns out John's pin is very long-- although it has the same thread.

Reason why I did not opt for such a long pin in the beginning was because in my opinion it took up so much extra room in the case unnecessarily(especially 3/4 cases). When you have one long extension, one mini telescopic and a couple minis the extra room these long pins take up could make the difference between whether all your extensions can fit inside your case or not.

I have a couple more threads on the pin just to make sure the fit is snug and tight--but the thread count on an Aurora extension is the same as John Parris's.

I dont know about Trevor's new pin. I know Mike has his own extension pin. His extension socket is recessed and engraved with his logo, which is very classy.

Hunt and Osborne cues use spiroloc joint so they will not fit a John Parris.
        Last edited by poolqjunkie; 22 October 2011, 06:31 AM.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
          I personally hate making mini and extension. I wanted to use the most common pin on all my cues so customers can just use their own extensions.
          But as it turns out John's pin is very long-- although it has the same thread.

Reason why I did not opt for such a long pin in the beginning was because in my opinion it took up so much extra room in the case unnecessarily(especially 3/4 cases). When you have one long extension, one mini telescopic and a couple minis the extra room these long pins take up could make the difference between whether all your extensions can fit inside your case or not.

I have a couple more threads on the pin just to make sure the fit is snug and tight--but the thread count on an Aurora extension is the same as John Parris's.

I dont know about Trevor's new pin. I know Mike has his own extension pin. His extension socket is recessed and engraved with his logo, which is very classy.

Hunt and Osborne cues use spiroloc joint so they will not fit a John Parris.
          Airin you're right , join and Glover's pin is too long, it's not convenient anyway.

Comment

Hi Airin,

Thanks for your reply. I am delighted to know that your extensions can be used on a JP. Would love to try out your cues.

Can you PM me a quote? My specs are : 3/4 ash or maple, invisible joint, 57" long, 18.5oz, 9.5mm tip, 30mm butt. Plus a long telescopic extension (35") and a 6" mini butt.

Also, do you supply to any stores in Hong Kong? I want to try out your cues. I see Perfect Point in your Facebook. They are a local cue shop, do they carry your cues?

Comment

[QUOTE=damienlch;602244]Sorry, but I thought SD joint is a generic name for the extension joint installed at the butt end of a cue and not a specific joint type. Reason it being called SD (i.e. abbreviated from Steve Davis) joint was because Steve popularised it after Parris installed it on his cue.

Or am I completely mistaken?

You are quite correct.
              Danny
              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by d2xed View Post
                I use a wide 3/4 cue case which have enough room to hold two 3/4 cues plus one set of extensions (i.e a 21"-35" telescopic plus a 6" mini butt).

I currently own a John Parris 3/4 cue and would like to purchase another cue that can share extensions with my JP. I know that Master Cues (the Thai one) also use a SD joint. Although their extensions have a shorter screw shaft, but I know it can be used with my JP cue.

My question is are there any other cue makers that also use a SD extension joint which can be shared with my JP? I would like to know my options before deciding which one to buy.
                Craftsman cues does this joint. Email them.

Comment

thanks everyone for your help, appreciate it.

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                    You are quite correct.
                    Danny
                    Thanks for affirming, Danny. Much appreciated...
                    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

It is stupid. I can understand why each manufactuer likes to have their own joint but from a customer point of view it rubbish.

Hopefully they will be the same as digi cams, sat navs, blackberries, htc, etc etc and get a standard connection.

You still get the odd big player like apple wanting their own connection (not mentioning any names MW lol).

Seriously though, I think the same joint is better for the customer and should be done.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                        It is stupid. I can understand why each manufactuer likes to have their own joint but from a customer point of view it rubbish.

Hopefully they will be the same as digi cams, sat navs, blackberries, htc, etc etc and get a standard connection.

You still get the odd big player like apple wanting their own connection (not mentioning any names MW lol).

Seriously though, I think the same joint is better for the customer and should be done.
                        Can't agree with you more, Jaffa... But I don't see it happening anytime soon... It's mostly by coincidence that 2 cue makers use the same SD joint.

Standardised extension joint pins (good ones)... I'm putting that on my wishlist after world peace... LOL.

Comment

Another thing I am curious is, I wonder how many here also carry 2 cues with them when they go to play at clubs. Since cue cases that holds two 3/4 cues with extensions are rare, I would think that the demand for them is low.

However, as a see a lot of forum members has two, or even more cues, do you stick with playing with one cue mainly, and leave the other at home, or do you bring two with you and play with both occasionally.

The reason I like carrying two cues is because they have slightly different playing characteristic and its fun to switch from one to the other occasionally, and I don't waste it sitting at home gathering dust.

Comment

Originally Posted by d2xed View Post

The ones I am interested are :
                            1. Master - yes
                            2. Trevor White - no
                            3. Aurora - if doctored
                            4. Will Hunt - no
                            5. Hunt & Osborne - no
                            6. Tony Glover - no
                            7. Mike Wooldridge - nope!

Your help would be very much appreciated.
                            not much help but..........................
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              not much help but..........................
                              Are you sure a JP extension pin can go into a Master cue socket?
                              I know a Master extension pin can go into a JP socket and I believe that is what the OP was saying but I am not sure if it is so the other way around.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X