• Show
Clear All

• Is this a crack?

Is it a fine hairline crack?

Can it be repaired?1.jpg

This cue costs me 300quid and used only 3 times so far

looks cracked to me?

Comment

Looks line open grain to me that is typical in ash . I may be wrong but it looks to fine for a crack and does,nt look like its running into the wood but on the surface .

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply but the issue is it is really bothering me when i hit hard i worry it breaks.

Comment

By looking at the pics i dont think you have anything to worry about , its just looks on the surface .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
            By looking at the pics i dont think you have anything to worry about , its just looks on the surface .

looks to me like its just a deeper bit of grain to the rest of the wood and hasnt been filled properly when the cue was finished, it "follows" the grain further down. the smaller one above looks a bit more worrying though, and what are you using on your ferrule?

Comment

If this was a crack you would know as soon as you played any type of shot by the sound it makes. A crack that size would sound awful

Comment

Upon magnifying the pic I would say its more a crack than grain. Grain is never usually that fine, or long, you can clearly see the grain and filler yet this is a greyish colour and looks more akin to a crack IMO for what its worth. As cazmac said though, you'd certainly know if it was a crack as you'd hear it and probably feel a little bit of vibration too, especially if it is deeper than say a 2mm.

Comment

looks like a split. could be just surface, could be deeper.

whether it has been glued/fixed, or possibly not spotted, is another matter.

if glued, it is unlikely to 'open up' and cause a problem.

of course, it's preferable for there to be no 'faults' in the wood like this.

but if it feels ok hitting a ball, it's nothing to worry about.

however, if i paid £300 i would not be happy.

but in the cuemakers defence, sometimes little things like this can go unnoticed. after all, your pic is highly magnified and it may never have been noticed by someone else.

regardless, it can repaired if necessary.

what cue is it?

(please don't say mine )
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

it's a cue with the same brand as the cue that O' sullivan is using

Comment

I guess if you take the ferrule off you can tell clearly if it is a crack or a surface scratch.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
                        it's a cue with the same brand as the cue that O' sullivan is using
                        Lol. I have no idea what that is. Really, I don't.

I have no interest in the plethora of posts/reports of who is using what cue and why.

Why don't you just say what cue it is?
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

The shaft doesn't look as good as Ronnie's (and i can only see a couple of inches of the shaft)L.O.L.
                          My eyes are better than I thought, why I haven't made that magic 100 yet????

Comment

Working...
                          X