best buys available in a top cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best buys available in a top cue

Anybody had or used a Trevor White cue ? how say, do they compare with a John Parris.
    And is 17.5 -- 18 ozs an ideal weight ?

If you go to the top right hand side of the page , "advanced search" , type in Trevor White you will get all the information you need.To precis this ,Trevor White is too modest and on this forum is considered to be in the top 5 of cue makers,worldwide,in almost every poll taken on this forum.As to weight of cue 17.5-18ozs is about an "average" ,if there is such a thing.There are plenty of threads to follow,just use " advanced search".Length,weight,tip size and type,butt diameter,taper ,timbers used,configuration i.e. one piece,3/4,centre joint ,everything has been discussed before.As an addendum ,only you can determine what your ideal weight is.Hope this helps.

Comment

yes thanks. i will search more.

Comment

No problem,glad to help,thats what the forum is for.

Comment

Quick reply. Ive played wid trevor whites cues, currently wat I own, plus iv played wid wooldridge n parris. Imo my trevor white cue is the best by far. Trevor was a pleasure to talk too, esp wid all the design qs I had.

Comment

Trevor is up there with the very best , cues are very subjective and are like marmite onbe person will love a cue and an equally good player may hate it .
            So when you ask who is the best cuemake i think there is no definitive answer and there are probably a dozen or so who are all capable and do produce cues that are as good as they possibly get .

Each cuemaker will probable have their own secrec ingredient when it comes to things like taper and glass finish etc and people will like certain things a cuemake does and will favour them for that reason .

I,ve owned cues by a lot of the top makers and do have my favourites but thats what it is , its my particular preference . There is one particular top end cuemaker who makes first class cues but ive tried a few and they are just not for me . That,s not saying that the cues are not first class its saying that they dont suit me .

So i would err on the side of caution when you ask someone who is the best cuemaker because the answer is not an objective one .

If this makes sense , i have had a few sherberts tonight .

Comment

great end to that post!
              Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

It might sound strange me saying this and dont take me the wrong way because I am not meaning to sound rude but....

Why are you asking us?

Some people dont know what they want and dont know what spec suits them. Some dont play the game enough (like me) to know what is good or bad and so before you rush out and spend loads of money on an expensive cue why not try a few cues to find out what spec weight, length, tip size) you prefer first?

Usually (not you) but it always makes me laugh when people ask what this pro or that pro uses. Who gives a dam? It wont make you play like them, they will soon find out that it is only what 'they' like that matters.

I reccomend when you find these things out first - then it is a good time - perhaps a better time - to buy a cue made to them specs from a top maker.

Both Parris and Trevor White are good makes and good cue 'brands' respected by players because of their 'playability' (very important that one) and their looks too but there are plenty of other makes and brands to consider too.

Mike Wooldridge Tony Glover, Robin Cook, GB, Northwest, Craftsman, Stamford, Aruora etc etc.,on to infinity (apologise to anyone not mentioned)

I would say any of the above can also make a decent cue to your specification if you pay them enough.

An average spec is around 18 oz weight, 58 length and 9.5 mil tip.

You would also need to pick a design-Parris has a cue design program thing on his web site as does Mike Wooldridge and a few others, For people who want style and substance and you might also need to consider the wood used in the design too. Ash/Maple for the shaft and as for woods/splices for the cue well skys the limit Cocobola, ebony, snakewood, olivewood etc.

Do you like a forward balance point at 18 or more weight in the butt of the cue, what kind of taper, size of butt, what tip do you prefer, do you like slightly more whip or a stiffer cue?

What about the extentions and cue case too. oh and 1 pc or 3 quarter split etc.,

My advice is this have a good look around on this site at a few threads See a few designs of other ppl's cues and if you can perhaps have a play around with a few cues to get a feel of what spec you seem to prefer first.

If you can to find out what spec/design/wood you like or prefer BEFORE you contact any of the cue makers you mention you will save yourself a lot of hassle and also you will save them time and trouble talking about stuff and nonsense and then they can get on with actually making it and another benifit is you wont look silly/awkward changing your mind halfway through the build of the cue.

hope that helps a wee bit.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1blonde View Post
                  It might sound strange me saying this and dont take me the wrong way because I am not meaning to sound rude but....

Why are you asking us?

Some people dont know what they want and dont know what spec suits them. Some dont play the game enough (like me) to know what is good or bad and so before you rush out and spend loads of money on an expensive cue why not try a few cues to find out what spec weight, length, tip size) you prefer first?

Usually (not you) but it always makes me laugh when people ask what this pro or that pro uses. Who gives a dam? It wont make you play like them, they will soon find out that it is only what 'they' like that matters.

I reccomend when you find these things out first - then it is a good time - perhaps a better time - to buy a cue made to them specs from a top maker.

Both Parris and Trevor White are good makes and good cue 'brands' respected by players because of their 'playability' (very important that one) and their looks too but there are plenty of other makes and brands to consider too.

Mike Wooldridge Tony Glover, Robin Cook, GB, Northwest, Craftsman, Stamford, Aruora etc etc.,on to infinity (apologise to anyone not mentioned)

I would say any of the above can also make a decent cue to your specification if you pay them enough.

You would also need to pick a design-Parris has a cue design program thing on his web site as does Mike Wooldridge and a few others, For people who want style and substance and you might also need to consider the wood used in the design too. Ash/Maple for the shaft and as for woods/splices for the cue well skys the limit Cocobola, ebony, snakewood, olivewood etc.

Do you like a forward balance point at 18 or more weight in the butt of the cue, what kind of taper, size of butt, what tip do you prefer, do you like slightly more whip or a stiffer cue?

What about the extentions and cue case too. oh and 1 pc or 3 quarter split etc.,

My advice is this have a good look around on this site at a few threads See a few designs of other ppl's cues and if you can perhaps have a play around with a few cues to get a feel of what spec you seem to prefer first.

If you can to find out what spec/design/wood you like or prefer BEFORE you contact any of the cue makers you mention you will save yourself a lot of hassle and also you will save them time and trouble talking about stuff and nonsense and then they can get on with actually making it and another benifit is you wont look silly/awkward changing your mind halfway through the build of the cue.

Great post! Wish someone had told me that when I started playing. Would've saved me a lot of time.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                    Trevor is up there with the very best , cues are very subjective and are like marmite onbe person will love a cue and an equally good player may hate it .
                    So when you ask who is the best cuemake i think there is no definitive answer and there are probably a dozen or so who are all capable and do produce cues that are as good as they possibly get .

Each cuemaker will probable have their own secrec ingredient when it comes to things like taper and glass finish etc and people will like certain things a cuemake does and will favour them for that reason .

I,ve owned cues by a lot of the top makers and do have my favourites but thats what it is , its my particular preference . There is one particular top end cuemaker who makes first class cues but ive tried a few and they are just not for me . That,s not saying that the cues are not first class its saying that they dont suit me .

So i would err on the side of caution when you ask someone who is the best cuemaker because the answer is not an objective one .

If this makes sense , i have had a few sherberts tonight .
                    Originally Posted by 1blonde View Post

Why are you asking us?

Totally agree...... 2 great posts!!

Enough said!!
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

TW and JP can both make you a top notch cue.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                      X