Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip sizes, 9.5 - 9.75 - 10 mm.

Greetings all from Australia,
    I am seeking advice on the positives and negatives of changing the ferule size on my next cue.
    I am a 49 best break ever player playing with a JP. Ultimate 3/4 with a 9.5 ferrul, several 130 plus break players at my club have suggested that an increasing the ferule size to 9.75 or 10mm will help a player of my standard with my straight line potting. I understand the trade off when using side with the larger ferule.q
    Many thanks in advance.
    " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

It's personal preference really, if you like the size of the ferule at the moment and feel you are playing well with it then there's no need to change it. In my opinion it's not really the size of the tip that determines accuracy it's straight cueing and good timing. I don't really think that making it 0.25 of a mm bigger is going to help get straight cueing. Maybe try out a cue with a 9.75 mm ferule see how you like it in comparison with the one you've got then make a decision :snooker: Whatever feels best pal
    "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

I went from 10mm to 9.5 on my current cue and to be honest cant really tell any difference!
      Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Well thing is if your happy with the cue your using, you like the taper & it's a 9.5mm ferrule that will give you options anyway.

You can mushroom the tip a little for a 9.75mm tip on a 9.5mm ferrule & if done well it is hardly noticable you can taper tip out slightly from top of ferrule to top of tip so it seems flush at the bottom & wider at the top ( hope this makes sense ) you can do the same with a 10mm tip on 9.5mm ferrule overhang is more noticable but still an option ( Peter Ebdon does this )

So without spending a fortune a 9.5mm ferrule is ideal to experiment with any tip size from 9.5 to 10mm anyway then if you think a bigger tip is for you, you can either run with the mushroom tip as is or have a cue made to the ideal spec you've found thats suits you if thats the case. The taper of a cue is also key to this as having one made with a bigger tip might result in a slightly thicker taper that may or may not suit you so just bear that in mind.

Comment

Did i hear my good friend CueAntW147 mention mushroom tips ? Sounds like that needs a pic to illustrate it

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Did i hear my good friend CueAntW147 mention mushroom tips ? Sounds like that needs a pic to illustrate it
            Any excuse to get ya tips out
            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              lol........well done mate i knew you'd come along to save me.....;-)

that pics a great example of the tapered mushroom i was on about, can't be your work though....it must be the work of my good mate "stu pot green "

Comment

Yes everybodies best friend Stu Green of Greenbaize did that for me. 10mm soft Talisman tip on a 9.3mm (i think) ferrule.
                Only trouble was the tip delaminated twice so i won't give them a 3rd chance lol

Comment

Great looking tip that. I'm getting better but not quite there yet...
                  Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

How do you get the tip/ferrule from 9.5mm to 10mm? Do you mean you want to order another cue or have your cue shortened?
                    Mushroom is nto a bad idea me think.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I'd think carefully before changing the ferrule as my mate has just changed to a 10 mm tip from years of 9.5mm. His potting accuracy has no doubt improved but he is struggling with the squirt (deflection) when using side and shots like the break off are now giving him trouble. It is early days though and am sure he will get used to it eventually.

Comment

Yes I have a new 1 piece on order with 9.75mm ferrule and I am wondering if I should change the spec and go to 10mm.
                        Mushrooming is difficult ( for me ) to achieve as I play with Kamui MH and I use a crayon size pencil sharpener to shave the edges.
                        " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

What cue did you order ? Pics when you can

Comment

I ordered a JP Ultimate 10 months ago and if I am lucky I will have it in the first quarter of 2012.

Comment

sounds pretty good, Don't worry I won't be expecting pictures any time soon :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X