The cue that got away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cue that got away...

I once missed out on buying a cue with pink bubbles on it, it was lovely and I am still fed up about it.

Do you miss a certain cue and why?

If I remember rightly that cue was one of Dominic Dales,striking ,but not to everyones taste.The one cue I regret not buying was a 3/4 Coutts cue that appeared on e-bay.Plain ash and ebony,bang on my specs,"poker work badge",hand planed, ( very early Coutts) as far as I know that cue went to Australia and was collected from Daves workshop in person.I missed it by a couple of £s.Regret it to this day.C est la vie.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
      If I remember rightly that cue was one of Dominic Dales,striking ,but not to everyones taste.The one cue I regret not buying was a 3/4 Coutts cue that appeared on e-bay.Plain ash and ebony,bang on my specs,"poker work badge",hand planed, ( very early Coutts) as far as I know that cue went to Australia and was collected from Daves workshop in person.I missed it by a couple of £s.Regret it to this day.C est la vie.
      Was that the one that had a brass shield as the badge?

My biggest heart break was a Melbourne Inman picture badge champion cue. Absolutely mint condition and had a plain ebony butt that had almost blue streaks in it. The ash was dark red from age. Absolutely gorgeous cue and one I wish I had kept.
      Another was a mint condition JP Mannock in ash. It had lovely dark orange tulip splices and the most amazin burr front splice. The woods just melted together and then had the nice black ebony to set it off.
      http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

I missed a Wooldridge on ebay a few years back through carelessness - 3 piece 62 inch, ebony / ash (perfect for taking down to 60, specs were bang on for me otherwise) went for £145 or something shockingly cheap - from a guy called Kevin with whom I had done business before, top bloke - he was permanently leaving the UK for Spain. Always annoyed that I screwed up on a real bargain...could have been the one...might have saved me a fortune.....lol

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
          wow you remember it, incredible! Well I guess it was quite distinctive. lol
          Yes it was Dominics cue - but are'nt they all?

I dont know who made it but it was a work of art - my perfect cue - but the phone rang during the sale I got chatting and missed it.

Thinking about it this is a really bad idea for a thread, as someone who now owns these cues we are all on about might read this and get in touch to tell us "Haaa Ha, I got it and you cant have it."
          Last edited by 1blonde; 1 November 2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure that was a Trevor White cue, and someone off here bought it (maybe from China ?)

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
              Was that the one that had a brass shield as the badge?

My biggest heart break was a Melbourne Inman picture badge champion cue. Absolutely mint condition and had a plain ebony butt that had almost blue streaks in it. The ash was dark red from age. Absolutely gorgeous cue and one I wish I had kept.
              Another was a mint condition JP Mannock in ash. It had lovely dark orange tulip splices and the most amazin burr front splice. The woods just melted together and then had the nice black ebony to set it off.
              Nice to hear a cue maker talking about cues he missed buying/or got rid of and regretted later. Just make yourself a replica - probably play better than an old cue anyway. - although I know some ppl prefer these things.
              Last edited by 1blonde; 1 November 2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

mmmm too many to remember from me.

two black plate hunt cues come to mind one in the jimmy white cue style with round butt, a one off claude faulkner replica made for dominic dale by trev, an early woodridge missed few years ago on ebay in the tradtitonal style. but dont lose too much sleep over as more cues round corner lol ( if misses asks av stopped buying ages ago lol)

Comment

should never lie to yer wife matty, she will always sus you out as soon as parcelforce arrives. Hard to disguise a cue lol.

Comment

I have sold 5 cues which were delivered to their place of work/snooker club !
                    Could be for convenience or maybe to keep them hidden from her indoors lol

Comment

Originally Posted by 1blonde View Post
                      should never lie to yer wife matty, she will always sus you out as soon as parcelforce arrives. Hard to disguise a cue lol.
                      yeh quite dangerous business this cue buying, usual am ok if they are delivered after 9 lol

quite a gud idea sending them to club, ya gotta trust them though, which i dont trust my club lol

Comment

Jason, Coutts cue badge was just a wooden inset with an engraving done with a hot iron (pokerwork). That cue with the bubbles was done with pink ivory and purpleheart ( if memory serves me) and looked like champagne bubbles rising up the shaft,all different sized discs of timber to make the "bubbles" and yes I also think it was a TW. The heart wants what it cant have,such is life.

Comment

Has anyone got a picture of this pink-champagne-bubbles TW from DDale?
                          Intrigued
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by 1blonde View Post
                            Not when you have enough cues that confuses her and she cant keep track .

Comment

Sounds like you guys have a secret cue fetish buying society going on. Actually thinking back I can remember cues just turning up around our house in strange places all the time like we were being visited by the ghost of Steve Davis past or something.

I dont really bother now, as long as they stop appearing in my wardrobe space. Also wow it looks like a few of you remember the cue, sniff, never mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X