Looking For a Special Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    WOW!!! I just checked the currency exchange and 17K Yuan is equal to $2,713(CAN) and that doesn't include shipping.

I think I'll pass as to my mind no cue is that valuable. There must be a lot of people in China with a lot of spare change in their piggy banks! I could take a vacation to Britain for that amount of cash.

Terry
    yes terry, as i have said many times on this forum, prices are going through the roof in china. to be fair it is 046 which makes it a collector's item.

according to the description the other one 076 was made for stephen maguire but its maple - 12,000 which seems more reasonable...

Comment

Is there no one out there with a one-piece Will Hunt cue in any shape at all that would be willing to sell? 57" and 18oz needed but everything else not too important

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

from black plate collector's stash in china:

145.5 9.6 17.6 28.8

Comment

The chances of finding ,another Will Hunt cue playing similar to your friends are pretty dim ,i think it would be hard to replicate even if you had a dozen or so of his cues to try with similar specs , so the chances of buying one blind and hoping for the same feel is very small indeed .

Comment

from black plate collector's stash in china:

Last edited by arbitrage; 8 November 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

arbitrage:

The one in post #18 looks pretty close. Was there a price posted on the Chinese website?

I think the second one (post #20) at 048 would be a real collector's item and is probably priced way out of my range.

hotpot:

I just want to try one out and if I play well with it I may use it and if I can't get on with it then I can always sell it on. When I do this with a high-quality cue I usually only end up out-of-pocket for the shipping charges, or sometimes I may take a small loss or profit. I've done this many times but right now I'm down to one brand new Aurora and I have a little balance in my cue account to see what I can come up with.

I guess it's all in the chase. I imagine a good Will Hunt would cost more that 1,000GBP and one that is not in such good shape might go for less and I can always modify one that is close to my specs with the exception of weight, length and perhaps butt diameter, although I can live with slightly less weight or a slightly longer/shorter length and a more narrow butt diameter. Adjusting the ferrule is no problem or even changing it to a stainless steel one.

Terry
              Terry Davidson

Comment

arbitrage:

I think the Chinese have captured all the Will Hunt cues and are holding them for ransom! Even 9K Yuan is up around $1,500(US or CAN) and that's still a bit expensive for what I'm after since I want to play with it rather than collect it. As I said, if I don't like it I can sell it on but just can't get those prices if I do.

I'd much rather find a beat-up one at a decent price and refurbish it first, try it out, and then sell it if it doesn't work out. If you spot something around 5K Yuan it might work (probably dreaming here!).

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

My H & O looks just like the one in post 10 with the leather butt protecter,mine is a very early eighties black plate.
                  Last edited by speculate; 9 November 2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

HI TERRY will check for you if there is one in Montreal Quebec Canada i figure these cues are very hard to find and if so the price of these cues are very expensive. cheers Leonar

Comment

speculate:

Is yours for sale? If so, what are the specs and price please?

Terry
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi Terry

Not at the moment but perhaps in the near future,not sure of the value and would sell it only in the uk (i could meet the buyer and handover in person)shipping abroad is a worry (missing/broken etc).I will post on the forum when/if i decide to sell.The spec is

81/82 approx Hunt & obyrne black plate

Length 57" balance 17" weight 16 3/4 butt 30mm tip 9.5mm
                        Main splices 17" macassar ebony (hand spliced) 1 facing splice in mahogany with maple veneer and ash shaft.

Regards
                        Speculate
                        Last edited by speculate; 9 November 2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          Arrrgh!!! I made a mistake (memory is not what it used to be) I had a student here on Saturday who had a 10yr-old 1pc Will Hunt Black Plate, ash/plain ebony and I had a chance to try out the cue and was very impressed with it.

So I've decided to bite the bullet and now I'm looking for a similar cue but I expect there aren't many of them out there. If anyone happens to have a Will Hunt Black Plate 1pc with ash shaft with specs somewhere around 9.4mm brass, 57", around 18oz, 29mm butt diameter and I don't mind what kind of shape the cue is in as long as there are no cracks (warped a bit is fine too). Pictures would be good if available. Butt socket would be nice but not necessary.

If you have one or know of one please either PM me or else send an email to 'terrydavidson45(at)gmail(dot)com'.

Terry
                          theres a will hunt green plate on dave coutts cues web site one piece spec dont know give him a ring or check it out on his web site

Comment

tiger tiger:

I did that yesterday but haven't heard back as yet. I just emailed Louise Coutts too

Terry
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                              The chances of finding ,another Will Hunt cue playing similar to your friends are pretty dim ,i think it would be hard to replicate even if you had a dozen or so of his cues to try with similar specs , so the chances of buying one blind and hoping for the same feel is very small indeed .
                              totally agree best advice on the thread

Comment

quite true, but no harm in looking whats out there. maybe best option terry so ' offer the student a price he cant refuse.'
                                did you say you be prepared to pay a grand? thats ntohignt o be sneezed at, he may just sell at that

Comment

Working...
                                X