No announcement yet.

Mac Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price for cues are £150 plus shipping. I will find out price for shipping and get back to you asap.
    Terry, Cue is almost ready but as you wanted cue slimmer at butt and tip i had to sand back and therefor refill grain and re-polish so be a few days to be ready but well on the way.
    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Mac, are you open to some constructive criticism ?

The cues visually look great, i'm sure they are very well made and play superb. The only thing that lets them down in my opinion is the badge, it just doesn't ooze quality, it looks a bit cheap. I would choose a different name as well that sounds like an established name.

Did you say you were from Scotland ? Depending on what part of Scotland how about something like Grampian Handmade Cues, Highland Handmade Cues or Scottish Handmade Cues ..... Those sound like an established brand, maybe a flag of Scotand in the middle so people can relate to where the cues come from visually.

As i said, aint having a go mate as the cues themselves look superb, just the badge and name to some extent lets them down a bit.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
        Thanks for the advise buddy, i appreciate any feedback(i will not take offense, got to be helpful getting tips from great cue makers)
        The badges fit holes fine, but i did have a wee bit of teething problems with the Forster bit moving a touch when drilling(as i don't have a press drill, and doing it by hand). I have been working on it some more.
        I am using plates, then using a resin to make clear cover. I might look at getting other plates made but i think it was more the first problem than anything else.
        Hi Richy,
        The shafts on your cues look really nice, and I am sure for someone with your background they should all play quite well. I am not a great cue maker by any means, but I just felt that it would be a shame to see your nice effort tainted by the badge. I would suggest that you invest in a drill press, even just a small cheap one that you put on a table top.
        I am still learning and I am in no way trying to criticize you. It was meant as a piece of friendly advice, that is all..
        Best wishes to your new hobby mate.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I honestly don't take offense to any of your comments and I know its only friendly advice and like I say, I appreciate any feedback. I will look into a press drill for sure. As for name of cues, I took a bit of time deciding on that and I'm quite happy with Mac cues, but again I will always consider any suggestions and I than you for your comments.
          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Well, Trevor White, Robin Cook, Parris, Mike Wooldridge, Andy Travis, Tony Wilshaw, Dave Coutts, Will Hunt, Robert Osborne, etc. etc. all use their names and it's become a badge of honour. How about Richard XXXXX Cues? (Don't think I know your last name and maybe it's too long to go on a badge and be legible)?

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

yeap sounds good Terry

Comment

Personnally I don't mind what's on the badge so long as it looks nice. I have one of Unclevit's cues and its just got a big red C on it. I don't think Suvit's full Thai name would go on the badge. I've recently seen a couple of cues made by a guy who used to work for Robert Osborne. Think his name was Frazer ????? but he's badge says "Exquisite Hand Made Cues".
                The name is good if you know who the person is but if its just a made up name like Kevin Sharland then its worthless.
                Being a bit patriotic I would like to see Richy put something on the badge to indicate "Made in Scotland". Could be a selling point? I think Mac Cues sounds like "Made in China". (Sorry China and Richy).

Comment

PS. Does anyone have a favourite badge?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                    PS. Does anyone have a favourite badge?

I like metal badges such as the ones used by Welsh Pool Trading - Matthew Couch? Actually. Also used on an old Rex Williams cue. Most badges are just obscure little round things today but many old cues had pictures of players and the like on them. Much more intersting. If Trevor White/Parris etc ever brought out a range of limited editions and changed the badges to something more exotic they would become instant collectors items - so they are missing a trick here I think-though probably both too busy to bother.

Comment

Maybe i should look at badges then if that is public opinion. I like mac cues. My 2nd name McDonald. and i also thought about when someone says "what cue do you have"? i thought "i have a mac" sounded good.
                      Id like your opinion on a name, although like i said i like Mac cues.
                      "Don't think, feel"

Comment

I think a badge like Trevs with your name would fit the bill perfect .

Comment

if you like them mate, keep it. think they look good, like an osborne type bage

Comment

If someone walked in the club and told me he had a Mac - I would say: "Don't be flashing it in here."

What about 'Mac Hotpot' cues or 'Hotpot Ma Got' cues - just jk sorry can knee help ma self if ye kin wot I mean laddie.

Comment

You,ll have it Blondie , u wicked lady .

Comment

I think the badge is fine, but if you were to change it how about replacing the "Handmade" with "Scottish Made"
                                People who know anything about cues will know its handmade anyway, so the word is a bit pointless imo
                                Also kids nowadays will associate Mac with a burger

Comment

Working...
                                X