Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you cure a smooth butt ? Also question about ash shafts, making them dense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you cure a smooth butt ? Also question about ash shafts, making them dense.

With the current cue i have i find that the butt can be too smooth at times, it slides quite easily in your hand, this makes me hold the butt a bit tihghter which is obviously not ideal.

How do you cure a butt thats too smooth ? I think the finish is the same as on my ash shaft which is raw linseed oil thats been buffed.

Also while i'm here, can you make an ash shaft more dense with regular coats of raw linseed oil by using 00 grade sand paper or 00 grade wire wool to take off the finish then re-applying with linseed oil on a regular basis ?
    sigpic

Try applying some craftsmans cue wax to the butt.

In my experience, the shaft is what it is in terms of stiffness/density. When you burn wood, it does make the wood stiffer and I always thought that leaving a cue in the gym sauna for a few weeks/months may well stiffen it up but obviously you would need a sauna where noone goes in it (wet showers = wet cue) and also you would need to lock it down straight in some sort of jig/clamp so the heat didnt cause it to bend.

PS - I would never use wire wool on a shaft (especially ash).

Comment

Posted a similar question re. butt grip here

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...-butt-grippier

Some suggestions of bees wax but never tried it as I changed cues

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
        Try applying some craftsmans cue wax to the butt.
        Just received a tub of this in the post today and just applied some on the butt only on one of my spare cues and waiting for it to cure. Will let you know what I think of the finish after I buff it off.

It says wait 15 mins but I think I will leave it a few hours to cure properly before buffing off

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
          Just received a tub of this in the post today and just applied some on the butt only on one of my spare cues and waiting for it to cure. Will let you know what I think of the finish after I buff it off.

It says wait 15 mins but I think I will leave it a few hours to cure properly before buffing off
          U will end up with sticky mess and probably need high girt sandpaper. I would leave for 10 minutes

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
            U will end up with sticky mess and probably need high girt sandpaper. I would leave for 10 minutes
            Left it for an hour and now buffed it off and early impressions are that it feels better than before and slightly grippier. After an hour it cured quite hard as if was difficult to buff off but not too bad.

I've decided to give it another coat which I have just put on and will wait another hour before buffing off.

Here's a quote from Craftsman
            Cue finishing wax
            REPLENISH AND NOURISH YOUR CUE .

SIMPLY APPLY A THIN COATING TO THE CUE WITH A SOFT CLOTH. AFTER 10 TO 15 MINUTES REMOVE THE WAX WITH A CLEAN CLOTH AND BUFF TO DESIRED FINISH.

HINT: THE LONGER YOU LEAVE YOUR WAX TO HARDEN THE BETTER THE FINISH.

HINT: BEFORE APPLYING THE WAX IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO CLEAN THE SURFACE OF THE CUE WITH EITHER FINE WIRE WOLL GRADE #0000 OR TRY OUR CUE SLICKER.

BECAUSE THE PRODUCT IS WAX BASED, AS WELL AS MAKING YOUR CUE FEEL GREAT IT ALSO PROTECTS THE CUE BY REPELLING MOISTURE.

Comment

2nd coat on and buffed off. The finish is silky smooth and looks great. Sadly it doesn't really offer any more grip than before if that's what you are after and certainly doesn't give the grip of a lacquered or polyurethane type finish.

I guess with it being intended for the shaft also I didn't see how it could make it grippier as this certainly is not the effect you want on the shaft.

Still I think it's a very good product and leave a great silky smooth finish and a great alternative to just using linseed oil.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                2nd coat on and buffed off. The finish is silky smooth and looks great. Sadly it doesn't really offer any more grip than before if that's what you are after and certainly doesn't give the grip of a lacquered or polyurethane type finish.

I guess with it being intended for the shaft also I didn't see how it could make it grippier as this certainly is not the effect you want on the shaft.

Still I think it's a very good product and leave a great silky smooth finish and a great alternative to just using linseed oil.
                hi sootyvrs i purchased this too when i ordered my pro-ash cue and simon said that it could be used on the butt also tho i report the same findings as yourself, really smoothens the shaft but doesnt give any xtra grip to the butt, that was the only gripe that i had about my cue, butt was tooooo smoooth,fantastic finish but i found it difficult to get uses to. Clammy hands is what u need clammy hands

Comment

[QUOTE=jaffa.johnson;606468]Try applying some craftsmans cue wax to the butt.

In my experience, the shaft is what it is in terms of stiffness/density. When you burn wood, it does make the wood stiffer and I always thought that leaving a cue in the gym sauna for a few weeks/months may well stiffen it up but obviously you would need a sauna where noone goes in it (wet showers = wet cue) and also you would need to lock it down straight in some sort of jig/clamp so the heat didnt cause it to bend.

PS - I would never use wire wool on a shaft (especially ash).[/QUOTE

You would definately not make it denser when burning unless the wood shrinks in all dimensions. U may make it stiffer but also more brittle. Too much linseed oil used on your cue can cause your cue to crack if it over saturates your cue
                  Last edited by sanman; 25 November 2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

You can put on some varnish to make it more sticky, but you probably shouldn't.
                    If you leave some linssed oil on your butt for a long time, it will feel very sticky but that is probably not what you are after.LOL
                    How about tennis wrap taped on the butt where you grip your cue? It can be removed if you dont want it there in the future?
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                    X