Cue choice and advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue choice and advice?

Hey, I wanted to buy a John Parris cue for Christmas, however I have seen some negative comments about John Parris cues nowadays on this forum. What do you think? Are Trevor White cue as good? I love the look of the john Parris regency cue and like the option of extensions which Parris Cues have?? I would be prepared to wait a while if Trevor White cues are worth it. Do cues in the Parrish collection have ultimate shafts? As opposed to paragon etc...
    Thanks
    Dan

You'd be pushed to get a JP for xmas unless it was one for sale in the shop that is currently ready. All JP cues are made to order now, even the stock range, you'd be surprised just how few of these are actually in the shop, usually only about 30 or so cues tops, majority are classics or the lower range in the stock range of cues.

The more you spend on a JP cue then the quality of the shaft improves, the top end stock range, the Exclusive, Regency, Stirling etc tend to be the better quality shafts but not as good as the made to measure range, i.e. special, paragon, ultimate. You'll never get an Ultimate shaft on anything other than an Ultimate cue, though not to say that the cue will play any better, its mainly down to grain straightness and eveness of the points on the feathers.

Comment

Do you believe John Parris cues are still the best?? does that mean you would recommend something like the regency cue then? What are the chances they would have a Regency Cue in the shop to buy on the day? thanks a lot

Comment

parris cues are good cues i would say there not as good as white & wooldridge but i enqurired about a
        t white about 3 weeks ago the wait time was 40 weeks. if you want a good cue for christmas try greenbaize
        cues there gbl range is as good as any cues i have used or seen.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dknox1 View Post
          Do you believe John Parris cues are still the best?? does that mean you would recommend something like the regency cue then? What are the chances they would have a Regency Cue in the shop to buy on the day? thanks a lot
          I went down to Parris about 3-4 weeks ago and they hadn't got a lot of cues to choose from. Mainly Classics, a few Elite models, a couple of professionals and about 7 one piece cues, specials and traditionals. Most of the more decorative butted cues are strictly made to order now so you'll definitely have to wait a good 5 weeks or more for a cue of your choice, so you'll be looking most likely at early January at best.

Don't get me wrong though, Parris still makes some very good cues and the good thing about cues being made to order now is that the quality is usually a lot better. Also just to put this myth to bed that they don't make their own cues anymore, I saw with my own eyes some huge boards of ash which just proves that they don't source their shafts from elsewhere or part finish cues as has been claimed in the past. I saw a few cues in different stages of manufacture too, including a stirling model which is part of the stock range.

Comment

Ahhh not so good news then... well I'll call them asking if they have a regency cue in stock, even though its unlikely... otherwise I'll wait till after Christmas and see.. thanks a lot for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Comment

John Parris is the top cue maker in the world mate, thats why most of the Pro's on the circuit use his cues. Tony Wilshaw has built cues for a lot of pros as well.
              Trevor White and Mike Wooldridge make great cues as well but they normally make and supply cues for the amateur players like us.
              Coutts and Cook make great cues as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by *mick* View Post
                John Parris is the top cue maker in the world mate, thats why most of the Pro's on the circuit use his cues. Tony Wilshaw has built cues for a lot of pros as well.
                Trevor White and Mike Wooldridge make great cues as well but they normally make and supply cues for the amateur players like us.
                Check the other threads about this, not that many pros use john parris. Its a marketing myth.

For the money, I wouldnt ever buy a john parris, especially a ultimate, so much more available at more than half the cost.

On the plus side, what you do get with parris is resale. quick and full value if not more.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dknox1 View Post
                  I would say no. a few players in my area have parris cues (including ultimates), the feel and splicings are certainly not as good as my robin cook.

You pay hefty amounts for better looking arrows etc on the ultimates when the other cue makers try to meet your grain needs as standard.

If you wanted a parris before xmas, check out the cues pete.147 is selling on here.

I would be looking at what you want the in the cue. Do you want the name to give you confidence? Do you want that magic feel? Do you want something with perfect splicing? Do you just want a cue which plays well? etc etc.

Comment

Sorry to say muck but thats a load of nonsense .
                    Last edited by hotpot; 21 November 2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I dont understand why some of you spout this negative codswallop about John Parris cues. The facts speak for themselves. A lot of pros use Parris cues. Why do you think John is the most successful cue maker in the world.

For what its worth Im after a Robin Cook cue but Dknox trust me mate if you go with a Parris cue you wont go wrong. Too many amateurs put too much emphasis on the cue and not there game.
                      Last edited by *mick*; 22 November 2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                        Sorry to say muck but thats a load of nonsense .
                        Mate do some research. Wilshaw and Parris cues are used by a lot of Pros. Fact.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                          Check the other threads about this, not that many pros use john parris. Its a marketing myth.

For the money, I wouldnt ever buy a john parris, especially a ultimate, so much more available at more than half the cost.

On the plus side, what you do get with parris is resale. quick and full value if not more.
                          Its not a marketing myth Jafa, honest mate. Tons and tons of Pros have used and are using Parris cues.
                          Last edited by *mick*; 22 November 2011, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                            I would say no. a few players in my area have parris cues (including ultimates), the feel and splicings are certainly not as good as my robin cook.

You pay hefty amounts for better looking arrows etc on the ultimates when the other cue makers try to meet your grain needs as standard.

If you wanted a parris before xmas, check out the cues pete.147 is selling on here.

I would be looking at what you want the in the cue. Do you want the name to give you confidence? Do you want that magic feel? Do you want something with perfect splicing? Do you just want a cue which plays well? etc etc.
                            To be honest I'm not an expert on cues at the moment I have a peradon Earl which cost just over 100, I don't really understand about grain etcc.. I would like a consistent cue which plays well. Needs to feel smooth a solid and make spin shots as easy as possible thanks, I also wanted a cue with a joint at the end for mini butts and extensions rather then have to unscrew to screw on an extension... I'll have a look at that Guy and see if he has The regency cus to be honest its the only john Parris cue I really like the look of... although I'm sure other brands will have designs very similiar and cues of the same standard.
                            thanks

Comment

Mate do some research. Wilshaw and Parris cues are used by a lot of Pros. Fact.
                              Talk some sense muck because my mate is a pro and uses a Parris and i,m an amateur and use a White , wooldridge etc , that does not mean his cue is better than mine . It may well be better but it would have to be better quality , which i doubt very very much , not becase the one using it is is O , Sullivan etc .

I,ve never heard such a sweeping statement .

Comment

Working...
                              X