Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! resizing a ferrule/tip from 10mm to 7/8mm, what do i need, how do i go about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! resizing a ferrule/tip from 10mm to 7/8mm, what do i need, how do i go about it

Sup people.

I'm new here and in need of some serious help!

I'll cut to the chase. I have 2 snooker cues, 1 with an 8mm tip/ferrule and one 7mm both of which I love.

I have just purchased a recondition pub table for my living room and have a bunch of cues that I want to 'resize' they are quite good quality but have 10mm or 9.5mm tip/ferrules.

I want to take them down to 8mm just like mine but obviously they will need 'retapering' as it were. I understand you need a lathe do this and I have access to a drill powered lathe that should suffice but I am in much need of some tips/advice or preferable step by step instructions on how to go about this correctly.

Both my cues were done by pros but I have neither the time or money to do this again and Also it would be really handy to be able to do it myself.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Ian.

what you are going to attempt will end in tears. this is not an easy or 5 minute job and you don't have the right tools.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Hi Ian.

You don't "need" a lathe per say. In fact, most of the top cue makers are able to round a cue using a hand plane, but for a beginner/someone that hasn't done it before, a lathe is almost essential. I think a drill powered lathe will be too fast though, (unless it is a drill you can alter the speed of). You would need to practice like anything on rubbish (club rack) cues to make sure you don't mess your "decent" cues up. If you're going to do it on a lathe, I'd suggest only sanding them down using pretty coarse sandpaper to get them slightly over size, then going up through the grades until you're using extremely fine grit (2000+) applying sanding sealer and letting the cue settle a bit between each grade.
      I know you said you don't have the time/money, but really you need both to do it yourself unfortunately. It isn't a quick job unless you're set up for it, and with no experience you always run the risk of ruining the cues you want to re-taper.
      As I said, practice on cheap rack cues or even broom handles first, but if they're needed quick, get a pro cuemaker to do them properly whilst you learn how to do it.
      I doubt it did, but I hope this helps.
      Dean
      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Hi Dean,

Thanks alot for that reply it was really helpful. The cues I want to retaper are rubbish club rack cues anyway! My drill is adjustable speed so that is ok and when I said I don't have the time/money I meant I don't have the time to take them far afield like I did before but I would have the time to do it myself. As for money, I have the tools and therefore spending should be limited as aposed to paying £20-30 per cue!

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I tried once on a house cue started off using very rough sandpaper to fine when it gets to shape.

Comment

Originally Posted by ianjones89 View Post
            Hi Dean,

Thanks alot for that reply it was really helpful. The cues I want to retaper are rubbish club rack cues anyway! My drill is adjustable speed so that is ok and when I said I don't have the time/money I meant I don't have the time to take them far afield like I did before but I would have the time to do it myself. As for money, I have the tools and therefore spending should be limited as aposed to paying £20-30 per cue!

Thanks for your help.
            Hi mate.

I dont know where your based but try Andy Travis. His prices are quite reasonable.

Comment

Hi people,

OP here. Just to let you know I tried it with my home made lathe today and it worked perfectly first time on a cheapy **** cue! That cue is now nearly bareable!

Just one thing though, anyone go any ideas on what sort of tool i could use for cutting?

Sandpaper worked but took aaaaggggggges and that was only 9.5mm to 8mm, I need to do a 13mm to 9mm later! Any ideas?

I tried a craft knife, a stanley knife, a kitchen knife and a few different types of chisel but none of then actually took anything off! Is there a particular tool I can buy? I remember on the big lathe in school it had an odd sort of blade hat when you moved it close to the wood it took decent layers off.

Let me know!

Cheers.

Ian.

Comment

Originally Posted by ianjones89 View Post
                Hi people,

OP here. Just to let you know I tried it with my home made lathe today and it worked perfectly first time on a cheapy **** cue! That cue is now nearly bareable!

Just one thing though, anyone go any ideas on what sort of tool i could use for cutting?

Sandpaper worked but took aaaaggggggges and that was only 9.5mm to 8mm, I need to do a 13mm to 9mm later! Any ideas?

I tried a craft knife, a stanley knife, a kitchen knife and a few different types of chisel but none of then actually took anything off! Is there a particular tool I can buy? I remember on the big lathe in school it had an odd sort of blade hat when you moved it close to the wood it took decent layers off.

Let me know!

Cheers.

Ian.
                Don't take out so much at a time. Let it settle between cut or the shaft will end up warp.

Comment

Working...
                X