Cue valuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue valuation

What sort of price might i expect to pay if a cue like this came up for sale.

Hunt & Obyrne 1 piece black plate,made in very early eighties.

length 57", balance 17", weight 16 3/4 ozs, butt 30mm, tip 9.5mm.

main splices 17", macassar ebony (hand spliced), 1 facing splice in mahogany with maple

veneer, ash shaft.

Thanks

These are going for at least £800 upwards
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by speculate View Post
      What sort of price might i expect to pay if a cue like this came up for sale.

Hunt & Obyrne 1 piece black plate,made in very early eighties.

length 57", balance 17", weight 16 3/4 ozs, butt 30mm, tip 9.5mm.

main splices 17", macassar ebony (hand spliced), 1 facing splice in mahogany with maple

veneer, ash shaft.

Thanks
      I have Hunt & Obyrne black plated ash cue.Made in the early 80s .Specs 58",17oz,9.5 ferrule. 3/4 plain black ebony butt 29.5mm diameter. It has long extension that screw in to the shaft. Recently i took this cue to Robert Osborne to refinish and Sd joint has been fitted. 2 extensions included. comes with the black ali case.
      Offers £1200 plus.

Comment

Thanks Neil

£800 upwards,what might be the most i would pay, or is it a case of how much i would be willing to pay.Also the cue in post 1 has no extensions just a 1 piece,will that make the cue cheaper to buy then say the one in post 3 for example.

Thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by Woolf147 View Post
          I have Hunt & Obyrne black plated ash cue.Made in the early 80s .Specs 58",17oz,9.5 ferrule. 3/4 plain black ebony butt 29.5mm diameter. It has long extension that screw in to the shaft. Recently i took this cue to Robert Osborne to refinish and Sd joint has been fitted. 2 extensions included. comes with the black ali case.
          Offers £1200 plus.
          How does go an **** in your own mouth sound?
          One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Originally Posted by speculate View Post
            Thanks Neil

£800 upwards,what might be the most i would pay, or is it a case of how much i would be willing to pay.Also the cue in post 1 has no extensions just a 1 piece,will that make the cue cheaper to buy then say the one in post 3 for example.

Thanks
            The extensions don't really matter . It's just the fact that the are not made anymore and they have a good reputation .

The poster in 3 normally slightly over charges but saying that , people in the Far East would pay more than that .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
              haha you go brother

Comment

Lol. You not impressed with that deal then?
                If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I've seen some of the prices for a mint Will Hunt Black Plate from China. 17,000 Yuan which translated to around $2,700(CAN) which would put it at around 1,700GBP or so.

I too am looking for a good Will Hunt Black plate but I am not going to pay 1,000 to 1,500GBP for it. If anyone out there has one in rough shape with nics and dents and maybe a bend or two PM me as I wouldn't mind trying to fix one up if I could get one for a decent price.

Right now I'm testing a 1pc Will Hunt Green Plate (made in 2011) and it was a little underweight for me so I added some weight and it plays really well. I'll see how it goes

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

That's just disgusting...
                    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                      That's just disgusting...
                      Yer, just lke that asking price for a bit of wood!
                      One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Do people generally believe a plain ebony ash H&O cue plays better than any plain ebony ash cue made today by any modern day cue maker hence the highest price? Or do they just believe that it was made with better wood, or constructed better?

I understand it is a collectible item that has been discontinued but a lot of cues are discontinued yet none of them go up to that price range consistently?

Usually a plain ebony cue with a selected shaft with even chevrons and all that--made to measured by a modern day cue maker--will not go 800 GBP + even when new, yet it is not uncommon to see used H&O with dents and such selling for more. Some do not have shafts with even chevrons and the joint is sometimes worn off to the point that the top splice does not line up with the flat anymore.

I agree they are very well made cues but so are lots of cues made today. For example, I have never seen a badly made Mike Wooldridge cue so far but you do not pay 900 GBP for a plain ebony MW used although his cues are every bit as good if not better in terms of craftsmanship than any H&O cues I have seen in my opinion.

So, what is it about H&O that is setting them apart? Why do they hold up so exceptionally well on the used market? Very curious to hear what you all think. Thank you.
                        Last edited by poolqjunkie; 2 December 2011, 05:22 PM.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

These cues are just not worth this money and any body that buys them has no idea about snooker or cues. I could understand someone using a mates cue down the club and he knocks a 147 in with it and turns around to his mate and says this is the one how much do you want for it. But to buy a cue over the net without so much as touching it for these prices is insane. The term a fool and his money are easily part comes to mind.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                            These cues are just not worth this money and any body that buys them has no idea about snooker or cues. I could understand someone using a mates cue down the club and he knocks a 147 in with it and turns around to his mate and says this is the one how much do you want for it. But to buy a cue over the net without so much as touching it for these prices is insane. The term a fool and his money are easily part comes to mind.
                            No matter what cue I use, I never get a 147, I must be using the wrong ones!

Comment

Yer, just lke that asking price for a bit of wood!
                              No, that's just ridiculous. There are issues with him ordering JP ultimates, lengthening other people's wait just to sell them on at a stupid profit, but he can sell a second hand piece of wood for whatever he wants.
                              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                              X