No announcement yet.

Cue valuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poolqjunkie, I think it's about status. Snooker itself is probably an exclusive, high status sport in China and when you mix in rich circles it doesn't do to look cheap.
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

But H&O has a very good re-sale value in the UK as well, not just in China.
      H&O cues also had very good value in Hong Kong and other countries way before they were selling for crazy money in China.
      How did it all start? Was it the preception that H&O are the best cue ever made? Is it because of Jimmy White...
      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 2 December 2011, 11:38 PM.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

i think was something to do with jimmy white staring in a chinese film, some people might of seen it, where the guy jumps in the air and does a masse shot?

well in that film jimmy is doing his screw and banana shots and his are real. maybe something to do with that, if jimmy can do it maybe its the cue, thats what they might of thought to get the ball rolling.
        just a thought

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
          i think was something to do with jimmy white staring in a chinese film, some people might of seen it, where the guy jumps in the air and does a masse shot?

well in that film jimmy is doing his screw and banana shots and his are real. maybe something to do with that, if jimmy can do it maybe its the cue, thats what they might of thought to get the ball rolling.
          just a thought
          Yes, I believe Jimmy's using the cue really started the frenzy...

I also heard a rumor that some people in Hong Kong thought Mr. Byrne was dead which was why people in Hong Kong were willing to pay a lot to own one as they thought these cues would never be made again.

If I am not mistaken, the buyers in China are just now following the foot steps of the Hong Kong collectors who have been collecting H&O cues since the 80's.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Well that seems to explain the development of the brand in Hong Kong and China pretty well. H&O and JP in the 80's and 90's set the benchmark for craftsmanship, with very little competition based in London if I recall correctly.

And the English ash used by JP and H&O back then made for some powerful cues, that could be a factor as well.

Comment

Jimmy can have that effect on ppl what a player

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                No, that's just ridiculous. There are issues with him ordering JP ultimates, lengthening other people's wait just to sell them on at a stupid profit, but he can sell a second hand piece of wood for whatever he wants.
                Yes, he can, but if you're stupid enough to pay that price then you have more money than sense!
                One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

You can get a good good handmade cue for £250. Yes if you want fancy splices and a selected shaft then of course you should pay more but it doesn't mean the cue is any better just looks nice. So if you have the money and this is all that bothers you then knock your self out.

Comment

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
                    Yes, he can, but if you're stupid enough to pay that price then you have more money than sense!
                    That's right, the market is to blame, not the seller. So you're little potty mouth outburst isn't justified, is it?

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                      That's right, the market is to blame, not the seller. So you're little potty mouth outburst isn't justified, is it?
                      Is this another account of yours Fedia?
                      One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
                        Is this another account of yours Fedia?
                        Did you not laugh just a little bit at my potty mouth comment?

Comment

Working...
                        X