cue help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue help

I've looked at a parris ambassador around £350 delivered,just wondered if these cues are £100/200 better quality than say mastercraft,craftsman .Could somebody point in the right direction.

Lol, read the other threads.

I have not seen parris ambassador but had a go on a few players ultimates and i dont believe there worth it and there top model.

Not saying there bad cues, just badly priced for the customer.

Comment

a cheap 10 quid rack cue could sometimes be better than a 500 quid "top" cue, its more how you like it and what you do with it... with parris though a lot of what you are paying for is his name on your cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
        a cheap 10 quid rack cue could sometimes be better than a 500 quid "top" cue, its more how you like it and what you do with it... with parris though a lot of what you are paying for is his name on your cue.
        To be fair that can be said of any big name cue maker. At the end of the day they all use good quality seasoned wood and other exotic timbers. They can all produce top notch stuff but can also produce some duds. Well maybe duds is a bit harsh a term, but certainly some cues playing characteristics aren't always as good as others.

Snooker is very much played in the mind, if you believe you have a top quality cue it can do a lot for your self belief and confidence, if there is any lingering doubt in your mind that the cue you are using isn't as good as you could have then you'll always have doubts in your mind. That is why so many players chop and change cues, look at the amount of Trevor cues and Parris cues and Woolys that get offered on here and you'll see what I mean. After all if these cue makers were so exceptional they'd never be put back for sale!

Comment

Apart from the brand, for your information, Ambassador is a replica model that John made for Steve Davis in early days. The cue spec is always around 57.5inches long, tip 9mm, and around 19oz heavy

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            To be fair that can be said of any big name cue maker. At the end of the day they all use good quality seasoned wood and other exotic timbers. They can all produce top notch stuff but can also produce some duds. Well maybe duds is a bit harsh a term, but certainly some cues playing characteristics aren't always as good as others.

Snooker is very much played in the mind, if you believe you have a top quality cue it can do a lot for your self belief and confidence, if there is any lingering doubt in your mind that the cue you are using isn't as good as you could have then you'll always have doubts in your mind. That is why so many players chop and change cues, look at the amount of Trevor cues and Parris cues and Woolys that get offered on here and you'll see what I mean. After all if these cue makers were so exceptional they'd never be put back for sale!
            fair enough, but i think we are both getting at the same thing, its not the actual cue, its what you yourself do with it. i know of players who have tried expensive cues and eventually gone back to 20 or 30 quid machine splice cues as they felt more comfortable with them....

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post

Its not the point of cues people sell not being exceptional as every top notch cue i,ve sold as been exactly that , its the fact that every cue is different and as good as they are they dont just suit you . The end product on top end cues is very consistent and nearly always perfect but how they play is another thing as they have to suit the individual .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                Its not the point of cues people sell not being exceptional as every top notch cue i,ve sold as been exactly that , its the fact that every cue is different and as good as they are they dont just suit you . The end product on top end cues is very consistent and nearly always perfect but how they play is another thing as they have to suit the individual .
                I personally don't believe that every cue that leaves the so called top cue makers hands is always top quality. Yes they might have accurate splicing and get the specs spot on but sometimes the shaft they select aren't quite as good as they could be. With so many orders that they need to get out, its only really upon completion or near completion do you really know if the quality of the shaft is going to make for a good playing cue. I've lost count of the amount of cues I've picked up down the years from many different cue makers only to find that some shafts really aren't what I'd call top class. More so in recent years TBF, now I don't know if that is because the quality of timber these days is not quite what it once was but I've been very disappointed with cues I've personally had over the past 3-4 years and of other players cues I've tried. Its certainly more hit and miss than it ever was, hence why you see so many JP's, Trevs and numerous other cues on Ebay nowadays.

I accept that some players have different tastes or wants in a cue but(without sounding too arrogant) I'm a pretty damn good player, can play any shot and know if a cue is top notch and what really constitutes a good cue. However there are a number of sub 50 break players buying £300+ cues and not really knowing quality because they can't really play the game so well, therefore I don't really think that their opinions are as valid. I've had many club players pick up my cue and say they don't like it and have never had a 30! So I think that tells you where I'm coming from.
                IT just seems to me that sometimes the cue makers are aware that many customers aren't top players so maybe don't select the best quality shafts, they'd never admit to it but I'm certain it goes on and nobody could make me believe different. They reserve their best quality for top players or people who they know well, just like many claim that JP does and they may well be right.

Comment

If you're looking at spending that much then you need to go somewhere you can try it! as good as all these cue makers may well be, the cue itself my not be "THE ONE" (copyright Cazmac1)....

With any cue that you haven't tried prior to purchase you're taking a punt and for me, spending more than £200 requires a test drive!
                  One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Mastercraft.......................The one

Comment

Another vote for Mastercraft - excellent cues, high standard of workmanship, beautiful finish and balance- made to your own specs and design at ridiculously good price....have two made for the price of a Parris.

Comment

I think you are paying more for the brand name as some have mentioned. When you try to sell a cue, a more well known brand name usually holds its value better and is easier to sell than a name less known--in which case you get a higher re-sale value. In that sense you are paying more but you have a chance to get back more when you sell, and the sale may go easier because the brand is better known.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Mate of mines got a parris traditional with a knot in it! Brilliant!
                          Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

I'm one of those sub 50 break players. trapped in 40's. I have bought 2 Mastercraft cues. Custom spec, and I think they are fantastic. Unless you're knocking in big big breaks I think Parris et al are simply a vanity purchase

Comment

I agree you dont need to spend a lot of money if you just want a cue that suits your game, as playability is really subjective.
                              On the other hand, a nicely crafted cue is a piece of art and a pleasure to own. There are people who appreciate finer things in life who like to collect such items eventhough they may not really play the game to a very high standard. I see nothing wrong with that either.
                              A lot of collectors never really use their collection in a practical manner be it a collection of cars, antique furniture, and so on. They just enjoy admiring the finer craftsmanship of these items. Usually, such collectibles are quite pricey.
                              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 22 December 2011, 10:21 PM.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X