No announcement yet.

Joe Davis cue spec's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it were something that i recall from john virgo saying might have heard wrong

Comment

Yes just checked he was a copper.

Comment

beat me to it

Comment

Just found this old thread haven't read it yet but might have some details.
          http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...p/t-11771.html

Comment

prob ronnies cue spec is the exception or jimmy's?

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
              prob ronnies cue spec is the exception or jimmy's?
              Agreed, but both these players are very talented so they break most rules anyway.
              I don't know if you guys are familiar with the test that you can do which shows the amount of error at the tip when the butt is moved of line. The shorter your bridge over hang there will be less error/movement at the tip if there is any side ways movement at the butt end. This can be shown by laying the cue on the table and with two fingers of one hand hold the cue where your bridge would normally be. Now with you other hand role the butt of the cue an inch to the left or right and see how much the tip moves from left to right. Now repeat the experiment but varying the point where your bridge would be. Now if I'm correct you will see the tip moves of line less the closer your bridge is to the tip and visa versa. The point being that a shorter cue with a shorter bridge can go a long way in eliminating cuing errors or minimalism their effect. Therefore a less talented player could improve his game by playing with a shorter Cue????? and a could player improve there consistency. I think this is the route John Higgins went down as he used to play with a lot longer cue in his younger days.
              Last edited by cazmac1; 14 January 2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Steve Davis told John Higgins in 2004 that his action was too long,John agreed and suggested it was because he was playing with a 58" cue at the time and was losing the cue ball ,through lack of accuracy, too often.Prior to 2004 ,when he was prolific,he was using a 57.25" cue ,therefore a shorter action.Now, as far as I know, his cue is 56" or just under.John was suggesting,as was Steve,that the older you get,the more your action changes ( maybe muscular or skeletal /joint changes ? ).Is it not possible that shorter cues,with shorter bridge length and shorter actions help with accuracy,the older you get ? A difference of only 0.75" was noticeable to Higgins and Davis,in relation to length of action.Food for thought perhaps ? Caz you know , from previous posts and advice I have given you , that I am a big fan of short bridge lengths and when you have experimented with shorter bridge lengths, your game showed some improvement, I am in no doubt that shorter bridge lengths are more precise/accurate and minimise errors in your stroke.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                  Steve Davis told John Higgins in 2004 that his action was too long,John agreed and suggested it was because he was playing with a 58" cue at the time and was losing the cue ball ,through lack of accuracy, too often.Prior to 2004 ,when he was prolific,he was using a 57.25" cue ,therefore a shorter action.Now, as far as I know, his cue is 56" or just under.John was suggesting,as was Steve,that the older you get,the more your action changes ( maybe muscular or skeletal /joint changes ? ).Is it not possible that shorter cues,with shorter bridge length and shorter actions help with accuracy,the older you get ? A difference of only 0.75" was noticeable to Higgins and Davis,in relation to length of action.Food for thought perhaps ? Caz you know , from previous posts and advice I have given you , that I am a big fan of short bridge lengths and when you have experimented with shorter bridge lengths, your game showed some improvement, I am in no doubt that shorter bridge lengths are more precise/accurate and minimise errors in your stroke.
                  I think were singing from the same song sheet. I went down the club today and experimented with a short bridge and then a long bridge playing power shots and screw shots with both bridges. the results were undoubtedly in favour of the short bridge. I'm almost 100% in my own mind to have my new mastercraft shorten, Just a matter of how much I will need to get some more practice in before making a final decision. If it could help someone of John Higgins ability I can't see how it can do my game any harm.
                  Thanks old school nice to have a bit of support on these matters.

Comment

Can I ask if you where going to have a cue made from scratch say at a length of 56 what balance point would you make it at????

Comment

cazmac

Reardon is around 6 foot so would seem unlikely his cue was only around 55 inches, though if anyone knows different would be
                      interested to know. In Steve Davis original coaching book 'succesful snooker' he says he used a 57 inch cue and he must be
                      around 6'2 ? ( this was the 1 piece ash cue he used early in his career ) Like you I'm interested in the theory behind using a slightly
                      smaller cue with a shorter action

Comment

I got a link sent to me yesterday from Nic barrow asking for feed back on his dart fish video analyst. I don't know if it was sent out as a general email or just to me but I found it uncanny that the first video on the link was exactly what I've been posting about and what I'm trying to sort out in my game. Which is also related to cue length . I don't want to post the link as I'm not sure if Nic would be in favour. If any other members got the link please let me know.

Comment

Or maybe Nic has been reading your posts and thought he might be able to help you out.......
                          Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                          Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                            I got a link sent to me yesterday from Nic barrow asking for feed back on his dart fish video analyst. I don't know if it was sent out as a general email or just to me but I found it uncanny that the first video on the link was exactly what I've been posting about and what I'm trying to sort out in my game. Which is also related to cue length . I don't want to post the link as I'm not sure if Nic would be in favour. If any other members got the link please let me know.
                            I received the same mail.
                            mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Caz , before I answer your query about balance points on 56" cues,please will you look up the following.Steve Davis ,My Space Blog, dated 17th Nov 2009. It is a reasonable article and is basically about grip and even talks about Alex s grip ( I know Alex is interesting to you). The reason I ask you to read this blog is because I believe your grip can affect your perception of what a good balance point is for you , let me know what you think.

Comment

After watching Nic's Video and going back to something Del showed me about my set up I went down the club and made some adjustments and things seemed to drop into place. Previously I had been holding the cue about two hand lengths up from the butt and now I'm only moving the hand up one hands length and it's made a huge difference.
                                Hi old school I think I read it before but I read if again have you got a link?
                                Last edited by cazmac1; 16 January 2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X