Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Davis cue spec's

Hi all, I have four questions

1 does anyone know where or who owns the late great joe davis playing cue is.
    2 Is the cue he uses in the pictures in his book his playing cue.
    3 Does any body know the spec's of his playing cue.
    4 How tall was joe.

isn't it on display at the norman clare collection here:http://normanclare.co.uk/museum.htm

or is that just one of his many?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old cue collector --
    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

think 1 of them are mike ,he was about 5ft 9 ins i believe sure i heard that recently,interesting question caz

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
        think 1 of them are mike ,he was about 5ft 9 ins i believe sure i heard that recently,interesting question caz
        Yeah, def. Of all the players who's specs have been asked for, this one would be good to know.

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
          isn't it on display at the norman clare collection here:http://normanclare.co.uk/museum.htm

or is that just one of his many?
          Some nice stuff there I've sent them an email regarding the cue.

Comment

In his book he says that his bridge overhang is about 12 to 15 inches. In the modern game this is seen to be excessive and leads to amplifying and fault in the delivery. What I really want to know is did his cue have an odd balance point to compensate for the extra long bridge

Comment

A friend of mine owns a cue that was given to his dad by Joe, no idea if it was a player though!
              One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Nip round there and measure it up lol

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                  Nip round there and measure it up lol
                  He uses it as his playing cue! he's a short arse so I know it's not that big! Will have a good luck next time!
                  One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Cheers Dwot. merry xmas

Comment

sure he said best cues where within 16 and half - 17 onz. as he came from a billiard back ground and 17 onz was consdered quite heavier than the norm, so guessing his cue was 16 and half.
                      also he said 10 and half to 11 mm where the best tips sizes and butt should feel comfortable in your hand.

so id say 58 inches long, 10.2 tip and 16 and half - 17 onz. butt sizes commonly quite thickish then so 30- 31 mm

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyshinobi22 View Post
                        sure he said best cues where within 16 and half - 17 onz. as he came from a billiard back ground and 17 onz was consdered quite heavier than the norm, so guessing his cue was 16 and half.
                        also he said 10 and half to 11 mm where the best tips sizes and butt should feel comfortable in your hand.

so id say 58 inches long, 10.2 tip and 16 and half - 17 onz. butt sizes commonly quite thickish then so 30- 31 mm
                        Thanks for the info but it's the length and balance point I'm really interested in

Comment

Thanks for the info but it's the length and balance point I'm really interested in
                          from joe davis - the breaks came my way

...." to me to know that if anything ever happened to my one piece ash, 4 feet 7 inches long and weighing 16 and half ounces, I would be sunk."

as for balance, who knows

Comment

That works out at 55 inch's. He say in his book that the ideal bridge overhang is between 12 and 15 inch's. Don't seem to add up. I have another look at his 100 break and see what I can pick up.

Comment

That works out at 55 inch's. He say in his book that the ideal bridge overhang is between 12 and 15 inch's. Don't seem to add up. I have another look at his 100 break and see what I can pick up.
                              coming from the man himself, bit strange as front cover shows him with it, and its well above his shoulder. and he wasnt that small

Comment

Working...
                              X