My new woods *** custom cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new woods *** custom cue

So last year i was looking for a new cue to use for both snooker and uk 8 ball.

I was currently using a cue craft that was ok for snooker except it didnt have a joint for extensions but the tip was a bit big for pool at 10mm.

I wanted something suitable for both but wanted to do it on a budget and had always wanted to try a maple cue, so after reading reviews on here of woods cues both good and bad, i contacted kent for a quote for a cue with the following specs (based on a tw ash version i had seen a while back and liked)

17.5oz
    57.5in
    9mm tip
    Maple Shaft
    1 large birdseye maple splice with thin yellow veneer.

3/4 vacuum brass joint
    Telescopic extension

Kent from woods was very helpful and quick to respond to my e-mails with concerns over weight etc and was worried they would not be able to get it down to 17.5 and offered to do 4 large splices instead, but it was agreed that i did not mind it being closer to 18oz and to keep the single splice design.

I was initially given a finish time of 25-35 days which was great as i was in no rush anyway and expected it to take a while longer.

Just after christmas Kent sent me the following progress pics...

my impressions where that the ebony did not look as dark as i would have liked but for the price i was paying i did not complain, but from the pics the cue looked well made.

Then this week Kent sent me some final pics of the finished cue for my approval before they sent it out, at this point kent also advised me that the cue weighed 18.1oz which i was happy with..

I am impressed with the finished cue especially considering the time it has taken and cannot wait for it to arrive to see what it plays like. the front splice does look to be a little out but hopefully that will just be in the pics as i did stress to kent that i would not be happy unless all point are even and lined up with the front splice.

I wil update with more pics and a playing review when it arrives.
    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with it.

Comment

looks good, Let us know how it play and looks in the flesh when it arrives :snooker:
      "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

small update, the cue arrived last week and i had a games of uk 8 ball with it on tues.

the shaft feels great and the splicing is very even and it all looks very well made. i asked that they leave the shaft unlacquered and i gave it a few licks of linseed oil and some craftsman cue wax.

Playing wise it feels a bit tinny at times, but that could just be the tip which came on it, i'm putting a pro granite on it tonight and taking it for a few frames of snooker so will update later and also with some of my own pics.

at the moment i'm satisfied but not over the moon.
        http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

How you getting on with your woods cue

Comment

Working...
          X