HELP - cue won't unscrew!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - cue won't unscrew!

I have a 15-y-o John Parris "Exclusive" cue - costs >400 quid new these days. I hadn't played for about 5 years until recently and noticed the brass on the ferrule and the joint was a little tarnished. This made it a bit stiff to screw together.

But it wasn't till I'd finished playing for a couple of hours that I realised I couldn't unscrew it again - it's stuck fast! I've tried WD40, but the joint is so tight, I don't think it penetrated much. And if it's stuck at the thread itself, I'm afraid I could never get it to penetrate that far.

I've twisted so hard, my palms burnt and I'm afraid it I twisted any more I could split the shaft.
    Any ideas?

Same happened to me on an old cue . Took to a cue maker in the end .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

tap it gently with a hammer. normally works for me.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Hmm - might be tricky for me. I live in west Ireland now. Don't think there is anyone round here who could do it.
        Do you know what he did to free yours?

Comment

The first thing to do is check that it's not a 1 piece cue. This is a common problem with 1 piece cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
            tap it gently with a hammer. normally works for me.
            Good call ADR, get somebody to gently tap it with a hammer as your trying to unscrew it.......
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by merlin1234 View Post
              The first thing to do is check that it's not a 1 piece cue. This is a common problem with 1 piece cues.
              Hey Merlin, are you a comedian?
              Anyway, if I don't succeed in separating it, it might well become a one-piece!

Comment

Ah Ha! Got it undone!
                I read a similar thread on a US pool forum and someone advised getting 2 or 3 people twisting together.

The missus just came home and so I left the cue outside for a few mins to cool down (and hopefully contract a bit) and then the two of us gave it a go together and bingo!

Phew!

Comment

So your better half is stronger than you ehh lol

Comment

well done,

I had a similar thing with a riley two piece which belonged to the bar I play pool for.

the problem was worse though and when you unscrewed it the bottom unscrewed from the joint leaving the joint together.

I used heat to loosen it and then glued the joint back on.

Comment

You can try applying heat via a heat shunt. You have to be care full not to use to much heat as this will loosen the glue.
                      Good luck

Comment

You really need to clean up the male and female really well
                        Put some vaseline in there afterwards.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                          You really need to clean up the male and female really well
                          Put some vaseline in there afterwards.
                          Someone said cuemakers would even use butter!
                          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Yeah, Having got it apart I polished off the flat surfaces which close together and cleaned the thread sparingly with WD40. All shiny now and smooth as silk to screw! (ooh-er, missus)

Comment

I'm not sure but I think that might have been a bad move. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the joint surface is not meant to be smooth and I myself have been told off by John for doing just what you'e done. All well and good you should be OK or you might consider getting a new joint from John. The cue is worth a few bob because of it's age. Might be money well spent.

Comment

Working...
                              X