Seeking a custom cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking a custom cue

I started playing snooker a long time ago then left to take up the 8ball scene and have done fairly well.
    Then my daughter came along 3yrs ago and stopped playing altogether, still dont know why lol
    Had my 1st son almost 4months ago and decided when in the pub with the lads to start up playing again.
    Basically got a lot of ribbing, 'bet ya lost ya touch andy' etc... and rather shocked myself when i kicked most of the now current pool team's backsides.

Now I am just devastated beyond words....

My custom cue, again had it almost 15yrs was stolen when my car got broke into whilst down birmingham seeing some friends only a week ago.

I've tried a few local pool/snooker halls but they could not give me any recomendations for a custom cue.

So...I've come here in the hope of getting some recomendations or someone who would be willing to help me out and make me a new cue. Have a few ideas of what i would like, just need to figure my playing weight and take it from there. I just wish I was skilled enough to build my own cue, but being honest, I dont even know where to start.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I look forward to being an active member.

regards Andrew.

What budget do you have?

What was your old cue? Specs of it if make unknown?
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

my old cue was oak and ebony.
      at the time 49", 8.5mm tip
      and i think the weight was around 16oz

my budget once i've finished saving, will be in the region or close to £400-500 mark
      I've made the decision that if my 1st cue can last 15..maybe couple more years, then why not shell out that little bit extra and maybe this next one will do me for the next 20-30years as i'll be 38this year, so 30yrs would be a good run if i eye sight dont fail me

Comment

Once I've finished saving, my budget will be in the £400-500 range.

The old cue was Oak and Ebony, cant remember what splice it had.
        At the time as I was still growing..i believe it was 49", and medium/light weight, around 15-16oz i think

Comment

Originally Posted by AndyDriver74 View Post
          Once I've finished saving, my budget will be in the £400-500 range.

The old cue was Oak and Ebony, cant remember what splice it had.
          At the time as I was still growing..i believe it was 49", and medium/light weight, around 15-16oz i think

Just curious, but do you mean the shaft was oak? I've only ever seen one oak shafted cue, but I thought it was a one off experimental sort of thing, I bet your old cue was real stiff. Can you say who made it or where you got it?

unusual specs for cue, but you're not on your own, theres a few members around that use similar specs, myself included. Been using a 49" 12 oz cue for pool for the last 8 years.

Comment

The worlds your lobster with that budget!
            Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Cant remember the name of the company but I do remember they closed down many years ago, probably why i cant remember, sorry.

As for the Shaft, It was Oak. I wanted something different.
              I'm not sure if I'd describe it as really stiff, but in fairness, there was not a great deal of flexability.
              Kinda hard to explain without you having a go of it, which is no longer possible.

It was the best cue I've ever owned.

just like the way it handled

Comment

A friend of mine has a cue, shaft made from Mehuma and love the way it feels and looks, but he's reluctant to sell it.
                He had it custom made too several years ago but unfortunatly the gentleman whom made it is no longer here.
                Soon as my cue was stolen, I phoned Dave over the weekend as we'd joked in the past about if anything happened to my cue he'd see about getting myself a cue made from his friend and alas that's when i was informed that he's died a while back so kinda gutted now.

I appreciate the fact that Ash/Maple/Rosewood make lovelly shafts, but as I see it, about 95% if not more, are the 3 main woods chosen for the shaft. That's why even back then I went bit odd ball, and chose something unique to me.

Now that I've decided to take up playing again, and lets be honest, I'm saving my money up, why not again cant I be different and have once again a unique 1 of a kind cue made for me?

Comment

Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
                  The worlds your lobster with that budget!
                  @Deepscrew: Shouldn't it be oyster? But I do like lobster better...

@AndyDriver74: Yes, you can buy a very good cue with that amount of money. Have a search in this section of the forum. Tons of info on cues, cue makers (a few of them are members here too)... Have fun and good luck!!
                  When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Yupp, have been browsing in here and there are some spectacular cues indeed.
                    Kudos to the makers, extremely talented.

My greatest achievements with wood were, a wall clock (made at school), a bird table (of sorts) and a oversized cat litter tray with a lid lol

Dont quite have the skills nor the tools to make a cue, but would be keen to learn

Comment

with your budget i can help! 49" is a bit of a worry though.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Here's the thing ADR, it was made many many years ago when I was somewhat smaller than I am today, that's not to say I've grown much more.
                        I stand roughly 5' 5 today

I guess, as I grew I just got used to my cue and although I've had other 'off the rack' cues they just aint lasted, have sold them, given them away cause I just never liked the feel, if that makes sense.

I'll be the first to admit that Yes, the cue was (being honest) small, but i had it re-drilled with a sd and 6" butt extension, which a rarely took off, unless playing in tight squeezes.

So there is my story, in a nutshell.

My new cue......let's see where it goes

Ideally it would be 3 piece with extensions that can fit either in the shaft or in the base of the cue to give maximum playability.
                        8-9mm tip
                        Open to suggestions on length, and weight

Comment

Originally Posted by AndyDriver74 View Post
                          Here's the thing ADR, it was made many many years ago when I was somewhat smaller than I am today, that's not to say I've grown much more.
                          I stand roughly 5' 5 today

I guess, as I grew I just got used to my cue and although I've had other 'off the rack' cues they just aint lasted, have sold them, given them away cause I just never liked the feel, if that makes sense.

I'll be the first to admit that Yes, the cue was (being honest) small, but i had it re-drilled with a sd and 6" butt extension, which a rarely took off, unless playing in tight squeezes.

So there is my story, in a nutshell.

My new cue......let's see where it goes

Ideally it would be 3 piece with extensions that can fit either in the shaft or in the base of the cue to give maximum playability.
                          8-9mm tip
                          Open to suggestions on length, and weight
                          honestly best advice might be to take a drive to craftsman cues in kippax.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Ok, will look into it, thx

Comment

I need to correct myself as my wording did not come out correctly.

I'd like to have a 3/4 cue
                              with a small 6-8" butt extension (that could fit the shaft also) so I could use extension in either the shaft (small spaces) or butt
                              As I play more pool than snooker.

Possibly 4th butt extension for snooker use, 12" maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X