Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue oils - help

Hello all,

Im looking at refinishing my cue, and wonder whos oils to use, (ive previously use craftsmans cue wax, but would like to have a proper finish with oil)

everyone of the makers say they have their own unique formula, but how does this affect the feel of the finish on the cue?

ones i have ben looking at are aurora, coutts and mike W cue oils,

any recommendations anyone

(would love to have some feedback from the makers too if they see this thread)

thanks all

I've just used some Raw Linseed Oil (decent price from eBay) as recommended by Parris Cues and it worked a treat. Danish Oil is also good stuff.

Comment

Raw linseed is the most common,

Others use danish oil such as matchplay cues and craftsmans. Craftsman actually use combinations of different oils.

Most cue makers probably use something else along with raw linseed oil but they dont disclose such information.

MW, Dave Coutts, Aurora all sell their own oil product.

I have personally used raw lindseed oil and mw oil and they both do a very good job. Raw linseed oil is cheaper option.

PS - all this info is in other threads if you searched the forum.

Comment

I personally find Antiquax medium brown 2-3 coats then some Lord Sheraton pure beeswax does a great job.

I have used Aurora cue oil and it does work. But ideally you need a lathe to get it super slick and shiney like they have on their custom cues. It's by all means not an issue just using a soft cloth. But it will be nowhere near as shiney from my experience.

Comment

danish oil on my maple cues , leaves an outstanding finish, like glass and just does not get sticky, on ash not as good, but as good as linseed

Comment

settled with the oil from MW and very impressed

Comment

Originally Posted by drury1986 View Post
              settled with the oil from MW and very impressed
              thanks.

actually i was chatting with lord ramsay last night and we agreed the smell alone is to die for.

in fact he confessed to having an open bottle on his desk at times cos he loves it so much
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                thanks.

actually i was chatting with lord ramsay last night and we agreed the smell alone is to die for.

in fact he confessed to having an open bottle on his desk at times cos he loves it so much
                Do we need to add this to the favourite aftershave thread?
                One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

thanks.

giving away my secrets mikey! ps cue tips etc sent for your inspection.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                    giving away my secrets mikey! ps cue tips etc sent for your inspection.
                    lol. not all of them.

i didn't mention you're also known as andrea, and can be often be found in the lingerie section of m&s...

also remember: codename - belt - contact details please mate.
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

lol. not all of them.

i didn't mention you're also known as andrea, and can be often be found in the lingerie section of m&s...

also remember: codename - belt - contact details please mate.
                      you will be wanting my taylors number next! details sent - oh and in case folks though mike was joking .....

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        you will be wanting my taylors number next! details sent - oh and in case folks though mike was joking .....

lol. the richest man on ebay and he uses b&q value tapes...
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Is that an 8 metre one ?..............it's the only way he can measure his bank notes
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

lol. the richest man on ebay and he uses b&q value tapes...
                            actually its worse than that - i stole it from my nipper! i have 54 - 59" marked on the wall!

Comment

And look at his Chalk been there since 1980's......lol

Is that a Mini Butt I see in that Blue Basket Andrew!

Comment

Working...
                              X