Where to buy Ash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Ash?

Hi guys. Well after reading Jason Owen's cue making guide over at http://thecueguru.weebly.com/cue-making-blog-1-5.html, I have decided to start trying to make my own cues. I'm going to start with just making Ash shafts with the same joint system as what you find on Gauthier cues. I'm a big fan of Gauthier cues if you read my other posts on TSF.

My first question is, where do I buy Ash blanks? I'm located in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Does anyone on here have a few lower grade Ash blanks they might give to me to let me experiment? Can I buy White Ash from BC?

Thanks!
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Good luck!

Do you already know what kind of machinery are you going to use to fit the joints, ferrule, etc?

Comment

Hi Mike. I don't have all the answers quite yet.

I figure that if I have the lathe, all the other stuff can get figured out. I might take a woodworking course at some point. The ferrule get's hammered on once the shaft has been sufficiently taken down, the female joint at the bottom might be possible to fashion from a brass blank on my own with a tap/die set. The macardin collar is probably readily available as well as any other hard material.

I'm just curious if I can build an ash shaft for myself and if it works out, build for others too.

Comment

cue stuff

have a word with airin hes your best bet,theres a company on american ebay that do all the stuff you want called cue componants or something like that
        Last edited by jim evans; 27 January 2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Ya, I have seen Cue Components plenty already. They are at http://www.cuecomponents.com/

I was hoping I could go to a local mill and pick/choose

Comment

Are you a cue maker?I supply all kinds of woods for making billiards cues.Such as ash block,maple block,Burl and Ebony.etc.If you are interested.Please contact me via email for sending catalog.Thanks
            mtbilliards7@gmial.com
            MT Billiards

Comment

Hi,Are you a cue maker?I supply all kinds of woods for making billiards cues.Such as ash block,maple block,Burl and Ebony.etc.If you are interested.Please contact me via email for sending catalog.Thanks
              mtbilliards7@gmial.com
              MT Billiards

Comment

longbomber:

How about starting out making one-piece snooker cues? It may make the start a little easier than trying to make a centre-joined 2pc cue right off the bat.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                X