how to make cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to make cues

hey i would like to learn how to make cues as a hoby but would prob need some classis lol so is there any 1 from near london or in the uk that could help me prob a big ask lol

have a look on the cuegurucues.weebly.com theres quite a good guide on there of how Jason makes cues. its on his cue making blog.

Comment

I am also interested in trying at this hobby. Thanks for the direction towards cueguru!

Comment

hey yer i have looked at this its good but the pronlem is i was wondering if there was any 1 who i can watch and stuff as i am not very busy at the moment tango where u from

Comment

I started on old brush shafts which I experimented on and bought up old suitable furniture made of suitable wood for the butts.......dont laugh.

Comment

Cue making is a very tightly guarded profession. Probably the best thing to is buy the required parts and pieces, and experiment a bit. There was a "master cuemaker" on here who was telling everyone he would teach them, but started turning out crap to paying customers of his, so prob best nit to pay too much attention.
            If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I am from the states, Minnesota.

Comment

Just curious do we use regular wood glue for the splices or is there something specific... The clock and other projects I made back in highschool all used wood glue...

Comment

I got my answer for that one. I've got a couple planes in my garage just brought them inside from the cold. any specific plane that should be used?

Comment

Originally Posted by TangoT View Post
                    Just curious do we use regular wood glue for the splices or is there something specific... The clock and other projects I made back in highschool all used wood glue...
                    Wood glue would be no good. It has to be stronger. Something like Gorilla glue or Cascamite. is what you need.
                    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I'm on the same path like you just starting out.

I think you have to source out good Ash and Maple wood first. Perhaps even just start with shaft making first and get yourself a cheap lathe on Craiglist if you can. I'm focusing exclusively on Ash for now myself and only on making shafts (3/4 and 2 piece). As I learn about Wood stabilizing and treatment, I can get into inlays, splicing, etc and eventually make my own full cues.

Search Google in your local area, province, state for "White Ash" boards, billets, planks. Learn all the terminology and read what you can about Ash vs Maple and start there. Also understand safety and care when working with wood if you are prone to bronchial issues. Don't just jump into wood working without understanding some of the inherent dangers with fine dust particles and carcinogens. I know of at least 2 cue makers that died early from cancers and exposure to wood dust over many years.

As you learn a bit more about Ash and Maple wood, try to source out some more local mills, suppliers, etc. Send out a bunch of emails to mills and lumber yards asking for 5 foot length by 4" by 4" (or 8") planks that you can eventually rip down. Understand wood grading like FAS and so forth. You need to get knot-free, kiln-dried (unless you want to air dry which could take much longer). From what I read, Ash responds acceptably to rapid drying and doesn't harm the material (at least for your concerns at this stage in your cue making). Read about other woods, hardness levels, density, etc.

Also comb through every page on this site which will give you a starting point as well for cue making: www.cuecomponents.com

P.S. I have heard mixed advice on the small cue lathes that the above site sells for thousands. You are better off to get a large, older, metal lathe with a heavy base and bed and pass through head stock (not even sure if that's what it's called). Expect to spend under 500 for a half decent metal lathe with a bed length of around 40". There are a bunch of web sites trading in lathe equipment. Hunt them down.

Here are some more good links I have saved:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/us...ood/216ash.pdf
                      http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ash.htm
                      http://www.rolaine.com/cues/
                      http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?...m2_002_ahp.tif
                      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
                        Wood glue would be no good. It has to be stronger. Something like Gorilla glue or Cascamite. is what you need.
                        I always used good quality wood glue as the joint is stronger than the wood,was never aware of any trouble with the splices.

Comment

Thelongbomber I read on your other post you were looking where to get woods. there is a new company thats going to make their debut at the super expo billiards convention this year at cuewood.com Their market is towards cue builders. From what I can tell they don't have any stock in 60" of length. but they have plenty of wood what seems like perfect sizes for the splices. I probably wont be getting a lathefor quite sometime. I have several planes that just need new blades. A local lumberyard does sell ash here but not in the thickness and size. Any thoughts on gluing two 1x2 together to get the full thicknesss? many low deflection performance shafts for just regular pool cues will use 4 - 8 pieces and have their shaft built like a pie.. I'm just not sure how that goes with snooker...

Comment

Cameron and longbomber have you guys started? I don't have a lathe. so I had planned on doing it by hand one piece until it was point when i needed a lathe. I'm having trouble finding ash that is thicker than 1" in my area at the moment. I found a few more places that I will have to try that might have it locally. is gluing two 1 inch planks to achieve thickness poor for the cue ? I know many high performance pool shafts are made with 4 or more sections like a pie... I really don't want to resort to ordering online yet. I've been exposed to wood dust since I was a baby now that im older I'll be more cautious but i can't imagine much dust from planing perhaps a woodchip to the eye

Longbomber I've read that you were looking for places to buy wood on another post there is a new company that is marketing towards cue makers at cuewood.

I'm mostly looking to make my first cue for myself since I don't have one yet...i hate to be using my friend's everytime I play.

Bomber and Cameron if you guys like to add me feel free to. I don't think I can yet because I don't have enough posts..

Comment

Cameron and Long bomber have you guys started yet? Bigandy yea looks like quality wood glue will do the job thats what it shows on the jp videos...

Comment

Working...
                              X