how to make cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    yeah but i will swap mine with yours during tea break!
    I'd want to wait till the end of the demo before I tried any swapsies!!

Comment

first lesson buy lots of wood cos you dont half make a pigs ear of it

Comment

You got some lovely looking bits there Jim, pale moon ebony i spy ??

Comment

yes jr,next lesson buy some more wood to waste

Comment

headache

and then when youve reached this stage its realy got you by the short an curlies

Comment

Jim, Gissa a front splice of that pale moon?
              http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by TangoT View Post
                Cameron and Long bomber have you guys started yet? Bigandy yea looks like quality wood glue will do the job thats what it shows on the jp videos...
                Hi Tango. Nope haven't started yet. I'm just in the learning phase right now, talking with wood turners, supply shops, etc. Already sourced a few where I can get my raw lumber. Look up a Wood Turners gathering in your area - every big city seems to have one. There are lots of members there that can give additional advice.
                Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by merlin1234 View Post
                  I think maybe snooker should introduce a rule that every professional player must use a cue he has made himself, sort of like Jedis and lightsabers.

Could really shake up the rankings a bit.
                  Ha! Now that would be the day.

Higgins would make a boring Ebony/Ash.
                  Ronnie would never make one cause he would crack it half way through or give it away
                  Mark Williams would make one for fun and giggles but then just use a club cue in competition

Comment

Originally Posted by TangoT View Post
                    oh I don't doubt they werent made with ash.. I was actually thinking about picking up some wheel barrow handles that were made from ash they come in perfect length just a 1/4" thicker. I Just need to call up a few places to check on costs for ordering before going down that route. Andy you could always stream a class online
                    Hmm.. great idea to source wood from a wheel barrow but fortunately not all Ash lumber is the same m8.

There is sapwood and heartwood. There is FAS and everything else less than that. There is S2S and S4S. There is green white ash and green green ash. There is kiln, air dried, microwaved (yes really!) and boiled.

I'm pretty sure the lumber specified for wheel barrow making doesn't quite cut the grade most people consider straight grain for a cue. However, give it a go. Maybe you might find a gem or two.

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                      Jim, Gissa a front splice of that pale moon?
                      you will have to pm me your address again mate

Comment

hey jim where u from

Comment

it sez on my flag cameron sheffield

Comment

Quality of wood is important but it is like cooking--a good chef can make you something extraordinary with something ordinary but a bad cook cannot even come close given the best ingredients in the world. Of course if you give a good chef the best ingredients he can magically turn them into a cusine you will never forget, but my point is just good ingredients in itself is not the key, you need to know how to make the ingredients work together.
                            Cue making is kind of like playing snooker--some can figure out things very quickly but some people just struggle. If you just want to make a few cues for fun it is of course fine but if you want to turn it into a career then it is a different story.
                            It takes a certain type of people to be a good cue maker as it is not just wood working but an art form.
                            It looks cool when you see a guy bring a new cue into the club and everyone wants to buy it but behind the scene there are lots of blood, sweat, and pain that you cannot see or perhaps even imagine. You have to really love it to keep at it, and you need to have some kind of knack to be really good at it. This is precisely why I feel so sorry to see what happened to Dan because I truly feel that he had something special in him. Well...
                            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 3 February 2012, 07:15 PM.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                            X