Ash, maple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash, maple?

Just wondered if you use say a maple cue for a lengthy time should you ever consider changing to ash, and vice versa

I have a maple cue and know that I would never purchase an ash cue, I would always stick with maple

I just wondered what sort of opinions I would get as well as wanting to hear from anyone who has changed.

Matt

General rule is maple players stay with maple,

ash players flirt with maple and go back to ash.

Comment

I've used ash since I started playing and since then have pursued an ash cue with a 'perfect' grain to sight with. When I finally got one I realised that it wasn't good for my game to be looking at the cue whilst cueing anyway. I also realised that the ash grain put me off rather than helping. I've still got my ash cue and would never sell it as I know it is the perfect spec for me. 2 months ago I bought a maple cue and immediately played well with it and have already made my biggest breaks in the last year with it. One thing I have noticed is that I have to make sure I cue properly with it as it is definitely less forgiving than my ash, but I have found that because of this it has improved my timing and I now have more reaction on the cueball but with less force. I can't see myself going back to ash but who knows? I've only had it 2 months and it takes me a little longer than that to totally get used to a cue.

Comment

I've always used ash, but when my cue was out of commission earlier this year for repairs, I brought/tried a maple Mastercue. The cue itself was great, but I couldn't on with it. I don't know exactly what it was, but for some reason it wasn't right for me, so got rid of it. I have since added a couple of other cues to my collection, (a "cannon match", and a "woods") both in ash, and the Woods is my regular spare cue. Based on experience, I've seen what Jaffa said. Ash users try maple and end up returning to ash, maple users don't change. (obviously there are the occasional exception to the rule like Stephen Maguire, but on the whole...)
        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

I used a maple cue for over 25 years then got an ash (after joining this forum ), I have no major problem with the more-visible grain but I do feel the grain a bit more - not enough to distract me on a shot but it is there. I do love the cue though.
          I then bought a pool spec cue in ash, again the "feel" is what gets me a tad and I do play well with it
          I do have a maple custom cue on order and will see what happens with that one
          But I also have another ash in mind
          [this forum has seriously got me ]
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Always played with an Ash cue until last night when I had a knock with a Maple cue.....quite liked it if I am honest.

Comment

Working...
            X