Mike Wooldridge Cue Lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Wooldridge Cue Lathe?

ok, i have finished designing my joints and extensions. now i'm bored.

so, time to design the perfect cue lathe

• bench top - no large workshop or floorspace required
    • compact and mobile - very small footprint and easily moved.
    • extremely accurate - essential for joint work etc..
    • estimated cost - £3000-3500

designed from the ground up specifically for snooker/billiard/pool cue making.

perfect for anyone starting out, or wishing to improve their current set up.

bear in mind i've had my fair share of lathes, spent a fortune on various equipment, and done a lot of research.

this will be capable of doing everything you need, and more, very accurately.

in other words, it'll be the dogs b*ll*cks.

to speed up my development of this product, i would ideally like 5-6 people in at the start. to give me a goal and timeframe to work on.

a deposit would be required and regular updates and general cue making information will be provided to all those involved.

anyone interested?
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Blimey...a man with a plan indeed.

When im retired maybe! Nigh on 40 years though!
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Does this aid the whole making of the cue or just used for joints?

Comment

Mike Please Check Your Private Messages m8.

Gaz.

Comment

I would be interested mike but i am a continent and a hemisphere away. How would it work if at all in my case

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
            Mike Please Check Your Private Messages m8.

Gaz.
            no. email me as per my signature.
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by tinytim139 View Post
              Does this aid the whole making of the cue or just used for joints?
              was this statement not clear enough?:

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
              this will be capable of doing everything you need, and more, very accurately.
              the answer to your question is no, it is not just for joints. you will be able to prepare shafts from squares, right through to splice work with the right set up. all at different stages of course.

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
              I would be interested mike but i am a continent and a hemisphere away. How would it work if at all in my case
              no problem at all.

would just need the right power/motor.

shipping would be a cost of course, but not overly expensive cos it would not be anywhere near as as big or heavy as a 'proper' machine shop lathe.

nothing to be concerned about imo.
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Hiya Mike Please Check your e-mail.

Gaz.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                  Hiya Mike Please Check your e-mail.

Gaz.
                  i did. check yours.

i just finished telling you all the things i can't do.
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I'm currently trying to find a cheap second hand lathe here in my part of the world. Best of luck in your endeavours on this great project.

Question:

- will you design into your concept a steady?
                    - will the headstock allow us to pass cues through the center? (I don't know the technical name for that).
                    - we can make 1 piece cues I assume?

Looking forward to seeing your lathe some day! For now, will pass on being a founding member though
                    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

To anyone wanting to make cues, this is a great offer.

If you want to make cues then you will need to buy a Lathe but every lathe out there will need modifications and jigs in order to successfully make cues on it. What Mike is offering is a lathe with all these mods already done plus a bit more by the sounds of it.

What Mike is also offering is invaluable support and help. Believe me, if you want to make cues then you will spend a lot of money and waste alot of time finding out how to do various things.
                      If your not a cryptic thinker, you dont think outside the box and can solve problems then you probably will never be able to make a half decent cue. It takes a certain mind set.

Mike, I dont think youll find the commitment from people to get the foundation group together. Shame as the results would be great to see.
                      http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                        To anyone wanting to make cues, this is a great offer.

If you want to make cues then you will need to buy a Lathe but every lathe out there will need modifications and jigs in order to successfully make cues on it. What Mike is offering is a lathe with all these mods already done plus a bit more by the sounds of it.

What Mike is also offering is invaluable support and help. Believe me, if you want to make cues then you will spend a lot of money and waste alot of time finding out how to do various things.
                        If your not a cryptic thinker, you dont think outside the box and can solve problems then you probably will never be able to make a half decent cue. It takes a certain mind set.

Mike, I dont think youll find the commitment from people to get the foundation group together. Shame as the results would be great to see.
                        jason, i also doubt i'll get the genuine interest, but all i can do is throw the idea out there.

would give me a target if i can get people on board.

but regardless, it will happen. and you better start saving cos you're gonna love how easy i'm gonna make your life as well as more enjoyable
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                          jason, i also doubt i'll get the genuine interest, but all i can do is throw the idea out there.

would give me a target if i can get people on board.

but regardless, it will happen. and you better start saving cos you're gonna love how easy i'm gonna make your life as well as more enjoyable
                          but mike are you not worried you'll help create more " dan the mans " and end up making good more orders ?

or will this new creation stop this happening..;-)

Comment

Just a few questions mike

Will cue making instructions also cover selection of wood and grading requirements as well as possible list of suppliers cos we get crap cue shaft timbers here.

Comment

I'm intrigued. So far I've made one, one piece cue at the tail end of last year, in the most labour intensive manner I think, using a blunt jack plane, a hand saw and a piece of 2.5"x2.5"x2m ash, some Amboyna Burr and some ebony. Just how much easier is it with a lathe? I can understand it should be much easier, but I'm guessing there are different pitfalls.

Comment

Working...
                              X