Complete beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete beginner

Hello, this is my first post so I want to firstly apoligise because i know there are so many similar threads about this topic but still cant find what I am after.

I have recently got into snooker and really enjoying it so think its time i bought my own cue.

I have researched and i know realistically i wont get a great cue for my budget but i have around £100 maybe max £130

I have also read all about the cheap cues on ebay that are all mass produced and not that great so dont want to end up with one of them ( very nearly did before finding this site)

Does anyone on here know of any cues that would be good for a complete beginner just taking up the sport??

Even if its a second hand one that someone has for sale or knows off??

I have been playing in my local club and have recently been given the lend off a good straight cue so know how important this is after been using the clubs useless bent cues

Any feedback at all would be great and again i apoligise for this common thread

thanks again Colin

Looking for a cue is a bit easier if you know what spec you want, eg, length, weight, tip size etc. If you're an absolute beginner you may not have had time to work out what you like and what you dislike so something fairly standard would be good enough. Have a look at Craftsman Cues machine-spliced cues.
    http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...iced_cues.html
    PS Last one on the page with the Bubinga wood would be my choice. fairly close to standard spec.
    Last edited by Bigmeek; 31 January 2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Welcome to forum matey,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-One...item3f131fd2d4

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
        Looking for a cue is a bit easier if you know what spec you want, eg, length, weight, tip size etc. If you're an absolute beginner you may not have had time to work out what you like and what you dislike so something fairly standard would be good enough. Have a look at Craftsman Cues machine-spliced cues.
        http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...iced_cues.html
        PS Last one on the page with the Bubinga wood would be my choice. fairly close to standard spec.
        I would definitely also recommend Craftsman Cues. They have a fair amount of cues to choose from and lot's of accessories.
        "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

thanks for the very quick replies

thats my prob bigmeek, im not really sure whats better for a beginner i.e is 10mm tip easier than a 9.5?
          really like the look of the cue you have picked out though......maybe this will be my first cue??

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
            Wow.. Any idea how old the cue is jaffa ?
            "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

Originally Posted by EnterTheDragon View Post
              Wow.. Any idea how old the cue is jaffa ?
              Afraid not matey, all i know is the shaft is an absolute cracker and still being stiff makes it special.

Comment

Originally Posted by strainers View Post
                thanks for the very quick replies

thats my prob bigmeek, im not really sure whats better for a beginner i.e is 10mm tip easier than a 9.5?
                really like the look of the cue you have picked out though......maybe this will be my first cue??
                10mm is easier to cue straight as big tip making contact with ball.

At beginner stage, i dont think it will be make to much difference and u will adapt to either.

Good luck with hunt

Comment

Welcome to the TSF Forum Colin.
                  Buy a Master Cue m8 Best Quality/Value for Money Cues on the Market, You can Buy from Stu at Greenbaize or Dave/Simon Brown at Craftmans Cues or Martin Chesworth.

Gaz.

Comment

thanks for the replies and advise, one more question and im sorry if silly but at my level will machine spliced or hand spliced make a difference??

i seen this on craftmans site which is hand spliced?

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ic_series.html

Comment

or are these machine spliced ones ok for what im after which are at a nicer price range haha

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ed_series.html

Comment

Originally Posted by strainers View Post
                        thanks for the replies and advise, one more question and im sorry if silly but at my level will machine spliced or hand spliced make a difference??
                        not always. machine spliced cues can play very well.

read www.handmadecues.com

Comment

Thanks for the link jaffa, very helpful

@ gazza, had a look at greenbaize also....they have a budget package for 79.99, what you all think??

this is my last link, sorry again for all the questions and links

http://www.greenbaize.co.uk/

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of gear for £79.99! There's no mention of spec but if you don't know what you're after anyway then maybe it doesn't matter. Looks like you've got a couple of options to mull over. Another option worth considering is buying second hand from one of the reputable guys on the Forum. You might have to wait a while till something comes up. E-bay is a NO NO IMO as its too much of a hit or a miss unless you know who the seller is. Good luck.

Comment

Green Baize - good starter package that.
                              It would not hurt to call them and have a chat, Stu at GBL is very knowledgeable and helpful.
                              He also has a forum and online shop that sometimes has other offers, so he would know about those as well.
                              all the best - have fun
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X