Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to get a cue refinished and re-jointed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to get a cue refinished and re-jointed.

So I have a BCE Centre Split cue on route, from Ebay. Now i know people are going to be thinking why oh why buy a BCE cue. Well it's pretty simple. The Cue is all Ash and have a really nice Grain. The problem being as it's a BCE it will be varnished quite heavily, and also the grain won't line up from Butt to shaft due to the shoddy joints they have.

The work i want carried out is the following:

New Centre Joints
    Butt Joint
    Mini Butt
    Tele Extension
    Strip down and re-finish
    Re-grain
    New tip

Now I know where I could get the work done, but what I would like to know is where do you feel is the best place to get the work done. I have £200 maximum to get the work done. This includes postage to and from as I don't drive.

I don't want to have to wait months to get a custom cue made so that's my reasoning for going down this route.

just from my own experience mate, cant get better than dave coutts. every time send a cue to him it comes back looking new.

Comment

Cheers. Dave was the main one I was looking at. As he's in my price range and I've not heared anything bad about his work. However I've not seen his work for myself.

Comment

Originally Posted by hunter101 View Post
        Cheers. Dave was the main one I was looking at. As he's in my price range and I've not heared anything bad about his work. However I've not seen his work for myself.
        You would be infinitely better off if you just spent the money on a reasonable cue from a reasonably priced seller such as craftsman cues or green baize. They normally have cues in stock so you won't have to wait for a long time.

Comment

I've emailed lot's of cue makers for quotes. They either have a long waiting time, or can't get the shaft as I want it. So I had no choice really other to go down this route

Comment

What specs of cue do you want?

Comment

The specs I want are doable. But it's the grain on the shaft that they seem to have trouble with. The ones that could do it will take at minimum two months. Most being 6-8 months and beyond.

Ideally I want 3/4 evenly spaced chevrons on the shaft. With a nice yellow/gold shaft. I would settle for 5 chevrons but ideally i want 3/4.

Mastercraft quoted 3-6 weeks. However the cost was too high without the extensions. And if they didn't have a shaft like I wanted in stock it could have been much longer than 3-6 weeks. Or even worse they may have used a shaft without the grain pattern I requested.

Comment

So I have a BCE Centre Split cue on route, from Ebay. Now i know people are going to be thinking why oh why buy a BCE cue. Well it's pretty simple. The Cue is all Ash and have a really nice Grain. The problem being as it's a BCE it will be varnished quite heavily, and also the grain won't line up from Butt to shaft due to the shoddy joints they have.

The work i want carried out is the following:

New Centre Joints
                Butt Joint
                Mini Butt
                Tele Extension
                Strip down and re-finish
                Re-grain
                New tip

Now I know where I could get the work done, but what I would like to know is where do you feel is the best place to get the work done. I have £200 maximum to get the work done. This includes postage to and from as I don't drive.

I don't want to have to wait months to get a custom cue made so that's my reasoning for going down this route.
                thats the daftest thing i have ever heard get yourself to greenbaize or craftsman cues and look through there stock stu at greenbaize as 100s of cues to choose from i am sure he will have more than a few with the grain and specs you want and there quality cues to. or craftsman cues have loads of pheonixor master cues to choose from both are quality cues.

Comment

I'm guessing you didn't see the part where I mentioned I don't drive.

Comment

then get the train it would be faster i have been to greenbaize in stockton stu as loads of quality cues to choose from probably the best stocked in the country. also craftsman cue in kippax near leeds as a very good selection of cues i am sure you would find something you like have you checked out stus website he has pics of a lot of cues but also as alot more which are not on there give him a email and explain to him what your after i am sure he will have a few in stock plus his gbl cue are very good.

Comment

I'll drop them an e-mail and see what they can do. However unless my PC sells along with my current cue I can't go over my budget of 200

Comment

If you really do want to have that work carried out, which I must admit I wouldn't bother with, then Dave Coutts is the guy. He's done a few bits and pieces for me and he usually doesn't mind doing it whilst you wait (obviously not in his front room lol). I'd personally scrap the BCE and get Andy Travis on here to make you one, I'm sure he'd be able to make you a good shaft with ext for a good price. His waiting times are very short as well. If you really do have your heart set in this BCE then get the work done, but make sure you get it done properly, 'cause if you don't your only going to make a lower quality cue lower in quality :snooker:
                        "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

I'm guessing you didn't see the part where I mentioned I don't drive.

You could email Stu Green your grain and spec requirements and ask him to send pics of anything he might have to suit. No need to drive.
                          Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

How old is the BCE cue?

There is a strong possibility that the 2 pieces of ash are different anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                              How old is the BCE cue?

There is a strong possibility that the 2 pieces of ash are different anyway.
                              +1
                              Most of the ones I have seen have been different pieces and have not even nearly matched

Comment

Working...
                              X