New cue dissapointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cue dissapointment

Hey guys this is my first post and was eager to join in some discussion about snooker as I have just started.

I have been waiting for this cue I have ordered for about 5 months and was very eager as it would be my first. It arrived packaged well although I might of thought it was abit unsafe for the cue as there is space in the box where it would move around alot, the cue itself was wrapped well with bubble wraps. So here my dilemma:

I get home from work today only thinking about the cue, open it up. Pull it out to a cue I imagined. Look at the joints and there it is; a crack running from the joint up. Pulled the joints apart and find a few drops of water in the joint and noticed it was abit wet and where I live has not been raining. When i put the cue together again and tighten, i heard the wood cracking and found another crack from the joint going up on the opposite side. I have noticed that the joint is not flush wiht the wood as there is a tiny gap between them unlike how it is on the butt.

The cue feels nice and I would be completely satisfied if it wasn't for this and would of left a very nice review for the cue maker as he was very nice to deal with. Im sure there are many others that feel the same waiting so long only to get something not satisfactory.

Now i dont know what happens now, is it possible for the wood to crack when in a new environment? Can it crack from bad handling from postman? does one demand a refund ?

What make is the cue?

Comment

Send it back but the cuemaker should pay for the shipping both ways

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

what maker?
        If you feel you dont want to name them (yet), maybe mention the country ?
        Have you been in contact with the maker to explain the situation? Until you have discussed it with them, there is not much we can say either way really.
        As wood is a natural material, environmental conditions can serious effect it, but cuemakers usually ensure that the woods they use are "settled" to reduce any possible changes after the cue has been finished.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

photos and country of origin would help ppl give i a better answer, the the person that's most prob going to know the most is the guy that made it

Comment

First thing to do is get in touch with the cue maker. You should give them an opportunity to resolve any issues.

Comment

could be a number of things - take some good photos and send them to the cue maker.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Sadly anything can happen from the cue leaving the makers premises and it being most likely flown half the way around the world in this instance if I take it from your flag on your profile you're in Australia? As others have said you must get in touch with the cue maker, although the fault may not lie with him, he is responsible for sending it to you and arriving in the same condition it left him.

Comment

I would think every main cue maker would sort the problem out for you.
                  It does sound like the cue has taken a fairly heavy knock in transit which has forced the joint up.

If there was a problem with the wood not being properly dry then it would be more like a swelling round the joint or the splices would swell and youd feel the splice joins in your hand.

First thing is to forget posting on here and email / ring the original maker.
                  http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Wood splits/cracks is an ongoing issue that is impossible to prevent completely when sending cues overseas.

It's the risk you take buying ANY wooden product and you are not 'entitled' to make demands regarding shipping nor refunds.

There is not a wood product in the world, nor manufacturer that will guarantee against this, nor cover shipping charges back and forth until, 'luckily', said wood item remains perfect. If they did, it would be a gesture, not a right.

But of course, I'm sure the cuemaker would be only too happy to help.

Wood will move with the changing seasons and sometimes drastically so when it moves between countries.

It is not the 'fault' of the maker, it is nature.

We all do our best to avoid this but when it happens it is simply unfortunate. Nothing more, nothing less. And I am quite sure your cuemaker will be more upset than you given that he has worked many days/weeks and sent (I assume) a perfectly sound cue.

I have suffered splits/cracks myself and will always do what I can to sort out the problem. However, I am a bit suspicious about the cracking you experienced when doing the cue up. This sounds much worse than a simple climate change 'shrinkage' issue, and more like a serious flaw in the wood preparation or possibly the joint work.

You say the cuemaker was nice to deal with. So talk to him if you want to resolve the issue. Forum members may offer advice/opinions but they cannot help you and should not be your first port of call.

If you are unhappy with the outcome then by all means come back and share your experience.

Feel free to email me pics or further info if you would like more comprehensive advice before making any complaint.
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Excellent comment.

Mike, why do you think he noticed water in the joint? I cannot figure that out.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                        Excellent comment.

Mike, why do you think he noticed water in the joint? I cannot figure that out.
                        not sure. could simply be condensation from being very cold in transport.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Could the cues maybe be tightly wrapped in cling film. Or is there something else that may help When posting abroad.

Comment

Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
                            Could the cues maybe be tightly wrapped in cling film. Or is there something else that may help When posting abroad.
                            i have found nothing matters. it is purely a wood issue. even if it does not happen immediately, it may happen later.

if anyone knows a solution, please tell me.
                            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                              i have found nothing matters. it is purely a wood issue. even if it does not happen immediately, it may happen later.

if anyone knows a solution, please tell me.
                              Make them out of plastic

Comment

Working...
                              X