No announcement yet.

Hand sanding to reduce ferrule size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, now another question. how do i remove a ferrule cleanly? or is the only real way to chop it off?

Comment

I used to heat them gently and carefully making sure not to touch the wood with a small blowlamp,then they easily unscrew.

Comment

You can even use a lighter to heat them up a bit but again have to be careful not to but the wood

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

thanks for the advice. much appreciated! i guess, you could use something to block the wood, like, maybe some wrap it in something flame resistant, so that it wont burn the wood and only hav the ferrule exposed to the flame..

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
            ok, now another question. how do i remove a ferrule cleanly? or is the only real way to chop it off?
            I would wrap the ferrule with a piece of tin foil then heat it up.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I use one of these which I have machined a smaller cutout to fit a ferule.
              The beauty is you can grip the ferule whilst heating and remove it in one go. Takes just seconds.
              340039_l.jpg

Comment

Nice idea.

Comment

If I must keep the ferrule then I just wrap a piece of leather around the ferrule on a clamp and spin it on my lathe. Usually the heat will break the glue bond fairly quickly and the ferrule will just come off.
                  If I dont need to keep the ferrule I just machine it off, it is very easy.
                  Without using a lathe I wrap a piece of tin foil on the ferrule and then heat it up...but I will first try a few drops of Super Solvent which is a special solvent designed to dissolve super glue. Sometimes the ferrule will just come off without any heating that way.
                  Just want to add: to answer the origial question for a DIY job, it is in my opinion better to level wood to brass then brass to wood as wood is softer. So, it is better to use the right size ferrule then try to sand the oversized wood to level with the ferrule than to try fit an overzied ferrule to level with a small shaft. This is why so may people suggested to change the ferrule. And to use a sandng block would help.
                  However if you use a lathe to do your tip/ferrule you can do it either way, although I still feel that it is easier to try sand wood to level with brass, you can get good result working the other way around as well.
                  Last edited by poolqjunkie; 17 February 2012, 09:05 PM.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

This is all great info thanks. I ended up taking down a different shaft to 9.5mm which I'm actually playing with now. Hits lovely and I tapered the last 6 inches to my liking - it has some give.

As for the maple one-piece cue I originally posted about, it's with Lance (aka Slasher on TSF). He will re-ferrule and take it down for me I assume on his lathe. Can't wait to see how it hits at 9.5mm
                    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Working...
                    X