Indentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indentation

I recently had my cue re-weighted but when I got it back I found a couple of indentations on the one side of the butt. I presume where it had been in the vice and hadn't been cushioned properly.

It is a special cue to me, an 80 or 90 year old Camkin that used to belong to my Grandfather.

The person who did it has said he would have it back and sort it out, but I don't really want him to touch it again.

I have been told that a hot iron and a damp T towel can do the job. Is that right? How?

Help much appreciated, thanks.

Hi Bob.

The theory (I haven't tried it myself yet...) is that the damp cloth and hot iron generates steam into the dent, and causes the wood to swell. This basically fills it out and and removes the dent.
    The wood that was there before is simply being compressed where the dent is, and this method pushes it back to its correct/original position.

Hope this makes sense, and I would recommend waiting for someone else with more experience than me to answer definative before you try it, especially on your Camkin.
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

If the butt is a good colour like black ebony or rosewood you can get some coloured wax sticks that might do the job.If not sure what you are doing stay away from steam or moisture.

Comment

The idea of heat from Dean should work.

If its your pride and joy then I would send it to a professional.

Who reweighted the cue? Was it professional job?

Comment

put a few drops of water on a cotton bud and then tape it over the dent (masking tape works well as not too sticky). Leave for an hour or so then check if the dent has swelled, if not repeat and leave for 2-3 hours. This is the best way i have found of bringing out dents without the use of heat.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
            If the butt is a good colour like black ebony or rosewood you can get some coloured wax sticks that might do the job.If not sure what you are doing stay away from steam or moisture.
            It's in between the splices on the light wood.

It was a pro job (in theory) a one man band cue maker/repairer who I know through my local pool league, bit embarrasing really.

Thanks for your help guys. Will try the cotton bud treatment in a couple of days time unless someone comes up with something else or seriously warns me off.

What harm can it do? (Gulp)

Comment

If it is on the butt I would say dont touch it. It is not that simple when you want to fix a dent on the butt although in theroy heat and water can expand wood.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
                put a few drops of water on a cotton bud and then tape it over the dent (masking tape works well as not too sticky). Leave for an hour or so then check if the dent has swelled, if not repeat and leave for 2-3 hours. This is the best way i have found of bringing out dents without the use of heat.
                Or the green painters tape which is even less sticky then masking tape and is designed for low adhesion. http://paintersmategreen.com/Product...ting_Tape.aspx
                Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Working...
                X