What makes a cue shaft responsive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a cue shaft responsive?

Just curious what everyones thoughts are on this.

I have 5 cues of almost identical spec e.g. length, weight, butt width, tip width etc... but as we all know each shaft will feel different to play with.

All my cues have MW Supertip (which eliminates the tip) but some of my cues are much more responsive than some others. When I talk about responsiveness I mean when I screw back for example using the same weight/technique with one cue I might get 10" with one cue consistently but maybe only 6" consistently with another at the other end of the responsive spectrum.

When I flex the shaft to see how whippy it is, they all feel near enough similar to my untrained eye so what makes one cue more responsive than the next?

Many variables really. With wood being a natural material they are all going to have different characteristics. I don't think there is some scientific way of measuring a cue's responsiveness. If there was then it would be easy for a cue maker to replicate exactly what kind of response you are looking for in a cue.

Also as cues age I think the wood softens slightly, which again will alter how a cue responds. Many players favour older cues because of their feel and response.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      Many players favour older cues because of their feel and response.
      Yes Shaun Murphy is one of them who prefers Older Cues and Dom Dale.

Gaz.

Comment

Co-incidence you should mention old cues as being more responsive as it's my oldest cue (30 years old) that is the most responsive out of the cues I own so perhaps there is some truth in that.

I thought perhaps more linked to the stiffness of the shaft that makes it more/less response but as you mentioned there seems to be no scientific formula that holds true.

Comment

Working...
        X