How long should you give a new cue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should you give a new cue ?

As the title says, how long should you give a new cue before deciding it's not right for you ?

I've had my new TW cue for about a month, but think i've made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely cue, but i've gone to Maple from Ash and I'm really struggling with it. Find it massively more responsive and whippy compared to my old cue.

Just be glad to hear your thoughts.

Sounds like you've already decided, time to move the new one along.

Do you still have your old cue?

Comment

Trev is turning it into an 8 ball break cue for me !

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750
        Well you have made it even harder by changing wood too, but i personally know within about 10 frames if i like it or not, then it's just practice required to really get to know it. But sometimes your 1st instinct is the one to go with ??
        Thats what I was getting at really, is Maple generally more whippy than ash, this one seems to be ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750
          All the maple cues i have tried have been stiffer than ash, but wood being wood they can be made to react differently i suppose
          I think i'm going to go back to ash to be honest. At least with a TW cue, it shouldn't be a problem selling it.

Comment

You can adapt to the way a cue plays but when you find one you like its an instant liking to the hit .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
              You can adapt to the way a cue plays but when you find one you like its an instant liking to the hit .
              Very true. That is why most people will always say that if you NEED a new cue, then the best thing is to go somewhere that you can try out a load. I think too many people order cues probably similar in spec to their current playing cue, in the hope that it plays better than their current cue.

The trouble is though, you only play well with your current cue because you haven't had another to compare it to. That is why I said about if you need to buy a cue, there is a difference in those that want a new cue or those that need a new cue. You have to take time to adapt to it, only if you are really lucky are you going to find a cue that suits you perfectly. This certainly is not going to happen by custom ordering from any cue maker, you are always going to be comparing it to your current playing cue, and in most cases not giving the cue a chance.

Comment

I used to sell cues in pubs etc and of course the customer always wanted a game with the cue he fancied.Maybe a bit sad but if I was going to win the game I tried to let him win.Why because if he gets beat he blames the cue and will be less likely to buy it.What I am trying to say is do not always blame the cue perhaps look to yourself.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                  I used to sell cues in pubs etc and of course the customer always wanted a game with the cue he fancied.Maybe a bit sad but if I was going to win the game I tried to let him win.Why because if he gets beat he blames the cue and will be less likely to buy it.What I am trying to say is do not always blame the cue perhaps look to yourself.
                  Thanks for the reply, but I think you are missing my point. The new cue is almost the same as a cue I owned 20 years ago, but very different from my previous cue. I'm in no way blaming the cue, others have said it is superb, just my recollection of how I played with the older cue are probably rose tinted.

I've practised more recently than ever before and yes it could be I'm now thinking too much, rather playing instinctively. I'm also just about to have a few lessons, so who knows after that I might be happy with the cue.

The question is, does the cue ever feel better or do you know straight away ?

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                    here here andy said it all along

Comment

Well, I've had my JAWES cue (Jim Evans) now for about 6 weeks or so and it really is now starting to feel like it's a part of me, have had 2 decent 30+ breaks and several 20's in the last two days, which for me is a very high standard, feel like I'm making big strides forwards and to a man everybody keeps teling me it's all happened since I got hold of this cue!

At first it felt slightly chunky, a little too long and not right at all because i was used to the Trav, now after 6 weeks it's the other way round, the Trav (Which is a bloody good cue in it's own right) feels a bit too slim and short (it's only 3/4" less in length) and slightly too narrow a tip, I do think having a good 10 hours of snooker last Sunday at the competition I ran with the JAWES made a massive diffence.

How long a cue takes for each person though? Feck knows, my mate recons he knows insantly onc he has it in his hands...
                      One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

I personally think you can tell right away. I mean if you pick up a cheap cue made in china that feels very tinny and you can't make a long pot with it , the seller will say you just have to get used to it. I have tried some well known makers that I couldn't play well with either and the seller says you just have to get used to it. If it was good , they probably would not be selling it.They usually say that they are only selling it because they need money for something.

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                          Thanks for the reply, but I think you are missing my point. The new cue is almost the same as a cue I owned 20 years ago, but very different from my previous cue. I'm in no way blaming the cue, others have said it is superb, just my recollection of how I played with the older cue are probably rose tinted.

I've practised more recently than ever before and yes it could be I'm now thinking too much, rather playing instinctively. I'm also just about to have a few lessons, so who knows after that I might be happy with the cue.

The question is, does the cue ever feel better or do you know straight away ?
                          I'm in the same boat with a cue I'm using right now. It's not a perfect cue by any means - YET. Give it time. Let it teach you how it plays, reacts, spins, throws, screws, and spins. Every cue has it's characteristics and if you give it a chance, you will eventually adapt to it's abilities. However, there is the other side of argument: if you haven't gotten along with it already, it's probably not the cue for you. Especially since you ordered it and didn't try it from a rack of cues on the shelf. When I picked up my current playing cue, I knew it had potential from the first hit and I bought it after only one hour's play.
                          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

I think you are probably just not used to playing with maple. May be you are just more used to ash. Stay with ash and keep the maple in your collection or sell it.
                            Trevor's cues are great and you should not have problem selling it.
                            How long does it take? LOL...hmmm, some people are always looking for a new cue...some people just have one cue and use it for years...I think it is very personal.
                            For me, I can get used to any half decent cue with normal spec. If I practice with it for a week or so a few hours a day it will feel okay. But if I come across one I really like I will know almost right away after a few shots.
                            If you are not comfortable wit a cue after using it for a long time then may be you should change. It does not mean it is not a good cue but just not the one for you.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                              I think you are probably just not used to playing with maple. May be you are just more used to ash. Stay with ash and keep the maple in your collection or sell it.
                              Trevor's cues are great and you should not have problem selling it.
                              How long does it take? LOL...hmmm, some people are always looking for a new cue...some people just have one cue and use it for years...I think it is very personal.
                              For me, I can get used to any half decent cue with normal spec. If I practice with it for a week or so a few hours a day it will feel okay. But if I come across one I really like I will know almost right away after a few shots.
                              If you are not comfortable wit a cue after using it for a long time then may be you should change. It does not mean it is not a good cue but just not the one for you.
                              In hindsight not even sure whether the maple is the key here, just think I changed specs too much (trying to replicate what I used years ago) and it is not for me. Need evolution, not revolution lol

Comment

Working...
                              X