Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between old fashioned machine splicing and modern day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between old fashioned machine splicing and modern day?

Was reading an article about the mannock cue on cues and views and how the purpose of the long butt was to make the pearwood shafts a bit stiffer. Then i remembered peradons marketing vid had a section on machine spliced cues here:

1:58 mentions machine splicing and shows hows its done these days.

How was it the mannocks were machine spliced compared to nowadays? The machine splicing back then lacks the little horizontal straight edges inbetween each splice, they just go down into a v point. And if the whole purpose of the long butt was to make the shaft stiffer surely that means that the pearwood must go down much further into the butt that it does on modern cues. Was machine splicing back then more of an inlay process like hand splicing but with a machine making cuts into the shaft to place the pointed splices?

No insight into old style machine splicing then it seems.

Comment

I am not sure but I would say the flat vs sharp thing is just a matter of preference on how the points are cut. The shaft in both cases stops where the bottom of the ebony is.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

can't see what difference it would make to a machine how it does it?
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Thats what im wondering about is how theyre joined, the little horizontal flat parts in between the splices make an obvious slot for the join to occur, with the V points in the older style it would seem to me it would be a trickier join to get right? I don't think modern day machine splicing uses the Vstyle anymore and they all have the flat between points, to me the V looks visually more appealing as well, just wondering if anyone knew anything specific about why its not done anymore.

Comment

It is just how the block was cut I would say.
            Same thing with butterfly spliced some are flat on the bottom and some are sharp.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
            X