No announcement yet.

humidity affects cue splices and joint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humidity affects cue splices and joint?

Hi all,

Hope to seek some experts opinions on whether does the high humidity level affect the splicing of a cue.

Reason for asking the question is because I live in singapore in which the humidity level is ridiculous high. And there were some occasion when I heard that due to the humidity, it may cause the glue used to join the splices to delaminated.

As I have just ordered 2 cues from a reputated cue maker in UK, can someone please kindly advice if i am worrying for the wrong reasons?

thanks!

the simple answer is yes. humidity will affect the whole cue.

i doubt if splices would be affected so much that they would de-laminate, depends who made it and what glue etc., but you are likely to experience some movement of wood.

but you should not worry about it cos it will probably be negligible and you may not even see any signs of the cue being affected at all.

many cues have been shipped to the far east from uk without problem. relax.
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Couldnt have a better person to clarify my doubt. Thks you mike!

I previously had few cues made in thailand by some of thailand finest cue makers, but these cues had already shown signs of visible gaps between the splice and even warping. Let just hope this time round it doesnt happen with my new cues.

Thks again mike!

Comment

well the humidity in thailand is similar to yours so i would think you are less likely to get a problem?

maybe the wood was just not dry enough to start with.
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Just out of interest Mike, If you shipped the cues out in perfect order, then within say a week they warped or the splices raised, how would you deal with that?
          http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
            Just out of interest Mike, If you shipped the cues out in perfect order, then within say a week they warped or the splices raised, how would you deal with that?
            i sort it.

as much as it is not my fault. it is also not the customers fault.

sometimes you have to to 'take a hit' for the long term good.
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

i gave a mate a cue it new condition as i've not used it and he left it in the boot of his car in 35c heat to pouring rain for 2 weeks pull it out and the ferrule had come loose i was like wtf do u expect. but on the bright side my first ferrule repair went well

Comment

Originally Posted by jay_j View Post
                i gave a mate a cue it new condition as i've not used it and he left it in the boot of his car in 35c heat to pouring rain for 2 weeks pull it out and the ferrule had come loose i was like wtf do u expect. but on the bright side my first ferrule repair went well

I left my first "expensive" cue to my car when it was about -30c outside.. Needless to say what happened and it only took about 20-30minutes. :snooker:
                "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

Working...
                X