Ash versus maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash versus maple

Hi folks Most of the cues that you will see been used in snooker clubs are ash mostly I think for looks but my 1st cue was a maple 1 piece which I got on better with than the 3/4 ash cue I'm using now but I would be interested to read other peoples views on which they think is better and why

Hi G4ORCE
    If you do a quick search on the Cues section, you will find many previous threads on this very subject.
    I think the outcome tends to be "personal preference"
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks I'm new to the forum and wouldn't have been aware of that but will have a look

Comment

ps welcome to TSF
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

The taper and age of wood plays an important role too. I know cause I recently purchased a Riley Burwat from a member here and had it worked on. Maple tends to be stiffer than Ash. Maple I find helps in sighting as well because it doesn't distract from shot making and you are more focused on the tip of the cue vs the grain of the shaft in helping you sight.

It comes down to personal preference and how you get along.

Welcome to the forum.
            Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
            My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Mike Wooldridge has a good section explaining ash vs maple here which you might find useful

http://www.handmadecues.com/home/24-ashormaple.htm

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                Mike Wooldridge has a good section explaining ash vs maple here which you might find useful

http://www.handmadecues.com/home/24-ashormaple.htm
                Ya, that is a good write up for sure
                Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Thanks I had a look at Mike Woolridge section and found it to answer a lot of my questions I would recommend anyone who is buying a cue to have a look at Mikes section first

Comment

Working...
                  X