Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cue maker question, can an arrow be added on an ash shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue maker question, can an arrow be added on an ash shaft?

i have a one piece master rocket cue, which has a few arrows down shaft but they stop at around 12 inches from tip and then is blank. pretty like maple really.
    however the cue plays quite well, but am used to an arrow or two near tip as my reference point.

was wondering if it is possible to add an arrow down shaft? why i ask is ive seen on dave coutts site a maple cue with walnut in lays? http://www.couttscues.co.uk/gallerycues.html
    (the supreme cue)

that would be perfect for my cue, but think this is done when the cue is being made? and not after its finshed, i maybe wrong.
    ive emailed dave, awaiting his reply.

anyone have info on this?

thanks.

Lol.......

Thing is mate the ash shaft is what it is & any attempt to add grain will mean it won't match the natural grain of the rest of the cue, so you pretty much have to accept it as it is & be happy, or sell it & find one that suits you perfectly but that means finding a perfect piece of ash ( meaning perfect for you ) on a cue thats already made or asking a cue maker to make you a cue stating your requirements about the ash, which is a time comsuming expensive process as so many shafts have to be looked through hence JP Ultimates being expensive as thats what your paying for the grain ie even arrows etc

Only other thing you could do if you love this cue is draw an arrow or two on the shaft just where you want them with a black permanent marker, even though they won't match with the others because the grain is naturally what it is and it won't make it play any different, basically an ash shaft is selected grain filled and the pattern is what it is any attempts to alter it just won't look right...........;-)

Comment

I can't believe you asked that Matty
      Get the crayons out

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Get the crayons out
        Lol...he's taking cue madness to new extremes that even i didn't think was possible and thats saying something........;-)

Comment

There was a cue years ago that either had painted arrows or something similar that you could sight through.Died a death of course.

Comment

Yes sort of making the natural, un-natural which can never work...............

Comment

You can always draw arrows with a felt marker on a pair of snooker glasses so that way every cue you use would have the same arrows
              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                You can always draw arrows with a felt marker on a pair of snooker glasses so that way every cue you use would have the same arrows
                You gotta love that Canadian humour, EH!
                The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Steve Davis used to have a fag burn to mark where he should have the cue, maybe you can burn a few into your shaft and your cue.
                  One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                    Lol.......

Thing is mate the ash shaft is what it is & any attempt to add grain will mean it won't match the natural grain of the rest of the cue, so you pretty much have to accept it as it is & be happy, or sell it & find one that suits you perfectly but that means finding a perfect piece of ash ( meaning perfect for you ) on a cue thats already made or asking a cue maker to make you a cue stating your requirements about the ash, which is a time comsuming expensive process as so many shafts have to be looked through hence JP Ultimates being expensive as thats what your paying for the grain ie even arrows etc

Only other thing you could do if you love this cue is draw an arrow or two on the shaft just where you want them with a black permanent marker, even though they won't match with the others because the grain is naturally what it is and it won't make it play any different, basically an ash shaft is selected grain filled and the pattern is what it is any attempts to alter it just won't look right...........;-)
                    Yes I knew it to be true, just thought maybe a chance when saw the coutts website. Shame I don't like maple as would be perfect. The search goes on......

Comment

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
                      Steve Davis used to have a fag burn to mark where he should have the cue, maybe you can burn a few into your shaft and your cue.
                      mmmmm na, gud idea though. might affect the resale
                      Last edited by mattyshinobi22; 9 March 2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

I have never seen that Coutts cue before, I think it looks stunning. Anyone got one ?

Comment

yeap think its gonna be listed on sale soon.
                          Last edited by mattyshinobi22; 9 March 2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                            I have never seen that Coutts cue before, I think it looks stunning. Anyone got one ?
                            Looks like there's only 2 made so far ( if website is upto date ) I think it looks terrible but just goes to show we all have different opinions on things.

On the subject of maple the other way of getting the exact grain is on a laminated maple shaft, ie strips of maple bonded together to create the exact pattern you want i had an old John Bennett cue like this which meant nice straight lines along the sides & I suppose no reason why doing it this way you couldn't have the exact pattern you want on the main shaft face along the top......just about matching the strips up to form the pattern you want.........easier said than done though i bet and time consuming the coutts cue must be based on a similar principal though.....
                            Last edited by CueAntW147; 8 March 2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Get the crayons out
                              Lol mite think about that! Really a shame though having no grain near tip, only bit of cue you see when playing shot. If shaft had them arrows like the olde ash I sold you. Would be my dream cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X