Just finished my first cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished my first cue

hi everyone, as the title says, it's just finished, not even a tip on it yet, comments are very welcome, don't worry I can handle some creative critique.

Woods used, Ash (obviously), Tazmanian Blackwood, Sycamore and Ebony.
    57" with 9.3mm tip, currently it's only 12oz but since I play with a very light cue anyways I'll try it before making any weight adjustments. Some things I'll need to tidy up on for my next one but that's okay, the learning curve is enjoyable. The ash is about 1 year old but I have a few lengths of 20 year old ash that I'll use once I've done a few more.

Tools used, Power & Hand planes, thicknesser, belt sander and production paper ... oh, and a saw

I've oiled the wood to seal it but will be waxing it later.

Thanks for looking chaps,
    Jim

Nice Bro. Are you doing it for the first time ? Really impressive. Keep it going on...

Comment

Thanks Gab, yes, my first time making an entire cue, I've done minor repairs and mods before but wanted to make one from scratch, I reckon that was the best way to learn the whole process and see the pitfalls !

Comment

If you had repair & mods any cues before, now this is the day you built the entire cue. Bro, i think you, yourself already been expecting this days. And finally...!!! Hope to see your next cues as well. All the best, Bro.

Comment

Although having never made a cue myself, if I was to order a cue to that specification and that cue showed up I would be very pleased with the aesthetic look of it. From what I can gather making a cue is very hard so either way what you have done looks great! Keep up the good work :snooker:
          "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

nice looking cue, need to get some dark grain filler on the ash though!

Comment

Keep up the good work Jim!!
              When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Nice Looking Cue m8 and good luck with Future Cue Making.

Gaz.

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
                  nice looking cue, need to get some dark grain filler on the ash though!
                  Brilliant first effort,agree that the ash would come up really well if it was a bit darker.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                    Brilliant first effort,agree that the ash would come up really well if it was a bit darker.
                    Is this the same andy g on the badge of my mates cue ?

Comment

Thanks for the comments chaps, I've applied a couple of coats of wax and buffed up ... to the cue that is ... and the grain is starting to liven up a bit

Tip is on and the ferrule polished, will play some frames tonight and see how shes goes.
                      Think I'll start another one next week, this time a more standard 18oz.

This is great fun

Comment

Good effort. This time next year you'll probably be taking orders off some members.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                          Is this the same andy g on the badge of my mates cue ?
                          Guilty as charged.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                            Guilty as charged.

Your a top man Andy, met you a craig tara many years back.

No urges to come out of retirement yet ( oops, sorry for unintended highjack of thread )?

Comment

JimB - very nice "first attempt" looks good, be good to get an independent playing review
                              Unusual combo "Tazmanian Blackwood, Sycamore" not heard much about those woods.
                              Is the Taz Blackwood difficult to work with or too expensive or could it be a main butt wood (i.e to replace the usual ebony)?
                              It looks really black.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X