No announcement yet.

Just finished my first cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought the butt on this cue was the Tazmanian blackwood, as its not a black (coloured) wood. The black wood is ebony on this cue, or i could be wrong?

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
      i thought the butt on this cue was the Tazmanian blackwood, as its not a black (coloured) wood. The black wood is ebony on this cue, or i could be wrong?
      oops, you are right (I think ) it had been a long day
      ebony is the front splice and the black veneer under the sycamore.
      so Taz Blackwood is not black - hm - interesting
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yea, the honey coloured butt is the Taz Blackwood, very similar to Koa from Hawaii but slightly more porous grain ... it's a beautiful wood but the heavily flamed stuff can be a bugger to hand plane sometimes but worth it in the end.
        Australian and Tazmanian Blackwood are pretty much the same thing but the Taz version tends to be a bit darker and harder, probably due to the cooler climate affecting growing times.

I have to say tho', this forum is not only an inspiration it's a valuable resource for the amateur / personal cue builder, I may not post a lot but man do I read a lot of threads lol!

Comment

really impressive job . can't wait to see next ones and maybe why not ordering a cue

Comment

beautiful cue jim , are you selling??

STEVE DAVIS = BEST THERE WAS, BEST THERE IS, BEST THERE EVER WILL BE. PERIOD!!

Comment

Nice work JimB, looking forward to see more cues from you.

Comment

This first one is mine

I increased the weight to my preferred 14oz and balanced it to 18" ... played with it for a few hours and it feels spot on, silky smooth, nice balance and lots of feel being at the lighter end of the spectrum.

For anyone interested, I poured melted lead into a pre-drilled wooden mould so that it would be the exact size for the hole drilled into the cue, compressed the lead into place and finished with an oak plug.

Here's a few photos of my ferrule cutting jig a friend made for me ... it's a bit 'manual' but it works fine

Comment

Originally Posted by JimB View Post
                  I increased the weight to my preferred 14oz and balanced it to 18" ... played with it for a few hours and it feels spot on, silky smooth, nice balance and lots of feel being at the lighter end of the spectrum.
                  Lightweight cues.... yummy perhaps we can do business in the future as I have a thing for light cues :-)

Comment

Nice cue , great combination of woods and nice to see something different.Welcome to the " light cue club" , ultralight is 12.5oz or less.Please keep up the good work.I am sure some TSF members will be " pestering " you soon , for lighter cues , lol. and they know who I mean.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                      Your a top man Andy, met you a craig tara many years back.

No urges to come out of retirement yet ( oops, sorry for unintended highjack of thread )?
                      Nice of you to say that,quite a while ago the craig tara days.Urges yes but not going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X